Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (retina 4k, 21.5in, 2017) running Monterey 12.1 fails to install Monterey 12.5.1.

How do I get my iMac to install the updated Monterey 12.5? Software update seems to download, chugs through the "preparing" for 25-35 minutes, then fails to install. According to Apple my machine is eligible for the update but "an error occurs while downloading..." and I am to "check my internet connection". I am on private wifi 5G at full'. I have tried several times, as suggested in the alert. What is your experience with this issue? and what do you suggest I do to resolve this? Thank you kindly.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 7:45 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 20, 2022 11:05 AM in response to yayalu

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Aug 20, 2022 7:51 AM in response to yayalu

First rule of troubleshooting is shut your iMac down, remove power for 5 minutes, plug it back in, restart, and try once more.

If that doesn’t work then pay attention to the error message. Just because you have an internet connection doesn’t mean it’s stable enough for downloading a multi-gigabyte file. Restart your modem and router and try once more.

iMac (retina 4k, 21.5in, 2017) running Monterey 12.1 fails to install Monterey 12.5.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.