Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The space bar in my Mac Air doesn't introduce a space between words

The space bar in my Mac Air doesn't introduce a space between words. Instead it pops up a blue frame around the window in use. To put a space between words I need to press shift+space bar which makes typing very slow. Can this problem be fixed? Cheers!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 12:07 PM

Hi Tingeling2022,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! There are couple if settings that may cause what you are describing. First is an accessibility shortcut that let's you control your Mac with a keyboard. To check follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Keyboard.
  2. Click Shortcuts.
  3. From the bottom of the preferences window, de-select the checkbox “Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls.”

Next, you'll want to check if Full Keyboard Access is enabled. This is used to navigate your Mac with your keyboard as well. To check:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Accessibility , click Keyboard, then click Navigation.
  2. De-select the Enable Full Keyboard Access checkbox.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 12:07 PM in response to Tingeling2022

Hi Tingeling2022,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! There are couple if settings that may cause what you are describing. First is an accessibility shortcut that let's you control your Mac with a keyboard. To check follow these steps:

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Keyboard.
  2. Click Shortcuts.
  3. From the bottom of the preferences window, de-select the checkbox “Use keyboard navigation to move focus between controls.”

Next, you'll want to check if Full Keyboard Access is enabled. This is used to navigate your Mac with your keyboard as well. To check:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Accessibility , click Keyboard, then click Navigation.
  2. De-select the Enable Full Keyboard Access checkbox.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

The space bar in my Mac Air doesn't introduce a space between words

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.