Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini Memory Recommendation

I'm looking to replace my iMac mid-2011 with a Mini. My older system was a i5 2.5 GHz processor with 12 GB RAM. My question is, with the new Minis, if I go with the M1 and 8GB RAM am I going to see improvements with processing speed? Or would I need the additional 8GB of RAM. I'm not doing any heavy graphic processing, video editing or gaming. Just standard computer usage for work and online surfing. It reads like the RAM on the Mini is "integrated" and that you can't easily upgrade the RAM after your purchase. Hate to buy something newer and it not at least be as fast.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 8:43 AM

If you haven't noticed, RAM cannot be increased once the computer leaves the assembly line, so most of use recommend configuring with the future in mind. The macOS is very agile with managing memory so 8GB does surprisingly well. My older Macbook Pro has 8GB RAM and has vey shown starved for RAM.

Likewise, storage cannot be increase later. If the financials raise the issue of "buy more RAM or buy more storage," I would go for storage based on how well 8GB RAM seems to service most consumers.

Whatever RAM and storage to order will be your "forever" RAM and storage.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2022 8:43 AM in response to den.thed

If you haven't noticed, RAM cannot be increased once the computer leaves the assembly line, so most of use recommend configuring with the future in mind. The macOS is very agile with managing memory so 8GB does surprisingly well. My older Macbook Pro has 8GB RAM and has vey shown starved for RAM.

Likewise, storage cannot be increase later. If the financials raise the issue of "buy more RAM or buy more storage," I would go for storage based on how well 8GB RAM seems to service most consumers.

Whatever RAM and storage to order will be your "forever" RAM and storage.

Aug 23, 2022 8:53 AM in response to fwdloop

Thanks for all the input! Yes economics is unfortunately a factor. I currently use just over 270GB of hard drive space, so I'm looking at a 500GB hard drive as a minimum. Part that with 16MG of RAM and the system cost goes up a couple of hundred bucks. Not a lot to some, but right now for me it's a bit o cash.

I suppose I could go with a smaller hard drive, bump up the RAM and save some stuff to an external drive.......

Mini Memory Recommendation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.