Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instruments not available / visible in Logic Pro X

Hi, I have a strange issue where no apple instruments are available or visible in the instruments drop down menu.

it happened out of nowhere without any major changes or update preceding it.

the instruments are there via a preset of. Handel strip setting but just not in the menu.

I have tried trashing the cache file for instruments and also rescanning in plugin manager where they are visible.

It happens even on a new arrange page and I also updated my computer from a 2019 iMac to a Mac studio running Monterey and the issue transferred.

any ideas would be much appreciated as it is infuriating! Also if I had to reinstall logic would need to reinstall all my 3rd party plugins?

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 8:49 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 22, 2022 3:49 AM in response to djdlondon

Hey djdlondon, Logic's sound library is context sensitive, i.e. it displays content in relation to the currently-selected track. If you have an Audio track selected, it will display presets and channel strip settings designed for Audio tracks. Make sure you have Software Instrument track selected before opening / browsing Library.

As an alternative, you could also browse instrument presets by loading an instrument plugin into Software Instrument track and using this plugin's GUI to select presets.

As for reinstalling Logic, you won't have to reinstall 3rd party plugins, as they are separate pieces of software from any DAW (and stored separately). Logic just serves as a host for these instruments, and some may even be used in standalone mode, I guess (it depends on their capabilities and configuration, of course).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Aug 22, 2022 5:52 AM in response to Radarhus

Hey, thanks so much for your swift response. I probably wasn’t very clear.

I meant to say, when I create a new instrument track, all I see in the instrument menu are my 3rd party plugins. I don’t see any logic instruments as you normally do. They are there if I select a channel strip setting but this is not ideal obviously.

I feel like logic has corrupted somehow.

as I mentioned I have trashed the cache file for a nostrums ray and tried to re scan them but neither works

Aug 22, 2022 12:00 PM in response to djdlondon

It's highly unusual if Logic does not display its built-in instrument plugins when you click on "Instrument" slot on a Software Instrument's channel strip. Most likely, something went awry when you transferred your files to Mac Studio.

Make sure you reboot the Mac first. Install any macOS updates that are pending installation, as well. If Logic app is not the most recent one (i.e. 10.7.4), updating it might also help, I suppose. If these "home remedy" measures don't help, I'd recommend trashing the app and re-installing via App Store.

Aug 23, 2022 7:17 PM in response to Radarhus

OK so it gets stranger... I have updated the last increment of Mac OS to Monterey 12.5.1 uninstalled Logic by trashing it and trashing the preferences, emptied the trash, rebooted the computer, reinstalled logic from the App Store and same issue.

The only instruments that are visible in the instrument menu on any instrument track are all my third party ones.

It's the same on a fresh arrange page as it is on all my ongoing projects.

Any ideas on this anybody would be much appreciated. At this stage I am thinking it might be a system wide corruption on my Mac but want to explore alternatives before erasing the entire computer and starting from scratch.

Instruments not available / visible in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.