Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to use iMac 27" 2013 model as display for MacBook Pro 2021

The Apple store sold me a Thunderbolt cable MD862LL/A which works as both Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 from what I understand. They also sold me the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter MMEL2AM/A. The iMac 2013 isn't a Thunderbolt 2, it's just Thunderbolt. So it's not working and I'm pretty sure it's because the adapter needs to be able to read the older model Thunderbolt connection (not the Thunderbolt 2). Is there such an adapter available to make this work? Everywhere I've looked online says it's possible, but no one offers the way to make it work. I've made the cable/adapter connections, checked all the Display settings on both the iMac and the MacBookPro and there is no recognition between the two. HELP! and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 2:48 PM

So is it the MacBook Pro 14" (M1chip) that is preventing the connection for display, or is it just that Apple is moving on and finally cutting the cord?

I can only guess it's the latter. Target Display Mode was a great idea and it's anyone's guess why Apple abandoned it. It wouldn't be the first time Apple inexplicably discontinued a phenomenally popular product or a feature. Makes no sense.

There are so many excellent displays to choose from so it's hard for me to say, but for graphic design? 27 inch? I'd be hard pressed to come up with anything I like better than the Apple Studio Display. There are other, cheaper 5K monitors that are arguably as good, but they're not much less expensive.

The nano-texture glass is important for some people, not for me though.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 2:48 PM in response to charla77

So is it the MacBook Pro 14" (M1chip) that is preventing the connection for display, or is it just that Apple is moving on and finally cutting the cord?

I can only guess it's the latter. Target Display Mode was a great idea and it's anyone's guess why Apple abandoned it. It wouldn't be the first time Apple inexplicably discontinued a phenomenally popular product or a feature. Makes no sense.

There are so many excellent displays to choose from so it's hard for me to say, but for graphic design? 27 inch? I'd be hard pressed to come up with anything I like better than the Apple Studio Display. There are other, cheaper 5K monitors that are arguably as good, but they're not much less expensive.

The nano-texture glass is important for some people, not for me though.

Aug 22, 2022 1:43 PM in response to John Galt

Dang, that would have been nice to have known before I bought this laptop. So is it the MacBook Pro 14" (M1chip) that is preventing the connection for display, or is it just that Apple is moving on and finally cutting the cord? So to speak :). Guessing there isn't a work around of sorts? I AM able to connect via HDMI to my guest room TV and that worked fine - not nearly the crisp screen as my iMac, but...

Looks like I'm headed back to the Apple store for a 3rd visit in 3 days to return the unnecessary cables and adapters they sold me.

Appreciate your feedback. Do you have a good recommendation for a second screen option for graphic design that won't break the bank?

Thanks again!

Need to use iMac 27" 2013 model as display for MacBook Pro 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.