Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not detecting external displays

I bought this 16" Macbook Pro with the M1 chip in june and had to install some displaylink drivers in order to get my 2 external displays to pop up using my HP G5 docking station.

Everything was fine until there was an apple update after which I simply downloaded an updated driver from display link to get the screens to pop back up again.

Now I updated my macbook over the weekend and the screens are not being detected. This is becoming frustrating. There is no new update from display link and I've scoured the web looking for answers. I've tried everything from restarting the computer to unplugging and replugging all the wires. I've even tried resetting the pram/nvram. Nothing is working. I've played around with multiple display settings as well and nothing has worked.

What can I do to get the external monitors to be detected? I bought this laptop specifically because it had the ability to connect multiple displays and now I can't even do that.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:44 PM

The Mac generally supports one display to a cable.

The one exception is when using a genuine Thunderbolt device (Dock or Display) on a genuine Thunderbolt cable, then up to TWO displays can be supported. USB-only is not supported.

Apple does not provide support for DisplayLink "fake" displays. You would have to get support from the Dock maker or DisplayLink for that.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 4:44 PM in response to emsirois

The Mac generally supports one display to a cable.

The one exception is when using a genuine Thunderbolt device (Dock or Display) on a genuine Thunderbolt cable, then up to TWO displays can be supported. USB-only is not supported.

Apple does not provide support for DisplayLink "fake" displays. You would have to get support from the Dock maker or DisplayLink for that.

Aug 23, 2022 6:39 AM in response to emsirois

Most Docks are not produced to connect to a Mac -- they are for that other computer.

The Apple standard is that its built-in hardware-accelerated displays are suitable for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues.

Because of this requirement for high quality, the cable needs a lot of bandwidth in MANY cases, especially approaching 4K in size. Rather than support some multiple displays on a cable and have Users left calculate whether there is or should be enough bandwidth to support their exact setup, Apple has opted not to support multiple displays on a cable, except for Thunderbolt.

--------

You can add as many "fake" displays using tricks like DisplayLink stunt-boxes, as you like. But these are not good enough for full-motion Video, only slow to change data like stock quotes, program listings, or spreadsheets.

Not detecting external displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.