Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two-factor authentication, iCloud for Windows

I have iCloud for windows on my laptop, have allowed iCloud Keychain and use the iCloud Passwords extension on Microsoft Edge browser. When I activate Keychain to obtain a password, the 2-factor dialogue box appears to enter the 6-digit code, however the code to enter also appears on my screen in the lower right corner. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having 2-factor authentication? If the code to enter appears on the same device where the code is to be entered? Shouldn't the code appear on my phone or other iCloud enabled device?

See image. (The 6-digit code appears where the black box is and was not allowed to be captured by snipping tool)

When I log into icloud.com the 2-factor authentication code comes to my phone (as it should).

Have I set it up incorrectly or is this a flaw? The same issue happened when I used to use the Chrome extension.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 12:53 AM

Two-factor authentication verification codes are sent to your trusted devices, which have already passed the hurdle for signing into iCloud. Your PC must be one of these devices on your account and therefore will receive the codes. This is explained in Apple's support document Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2022 12:53 AM in response to cjl_melb

Two-factor authentication verification codes are sent to your trusted devices, which have already passed the hurdle for signing into iCloud. Your PC must be one of these devices on your account and therefore will receive the codes. This is explained in Apple's support document Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication.

Two-factor authentication, iCloud for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.