Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain and 2 factor authentication.

Does anyone know why I have to wait a month to turn on 2-factor authentication? I need to have 2 factor authentication (this seems to be a new thing) to turn on my iCloud password keychain and I need my keychain in order to not have my new phone severely crippled for the next month.

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 1:15 AM

This email is to confirm that you recently attempted to set up two-step verification for your Apple ID (r•••••@gmail.com).

The email states you tried to turn on Apple's older 2 STEP VERIFICATION, not 2 Factor Authentication.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204152

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 24, 2020 10:13 PM in response to zinacef

Hi Zinacef,

When I tried to activate it I was sent this email:

This email is to confirm that you recently attempted to set up two-step verification for your Apple ID (r•••••@gmail.com).

For security reasons, you must wait until December 21, 2020 at 3:06:44 PM EST before you can begin using two-step verification. You can sign in to the Apple ID account page after this date and time to complete the set up process. For more information, read the FAQ.

If you did not attempt to set up two-step verification or you believe an unauthorized person has accessed your account, you should change your password as soon as possible from your Apple ID account page at https://appleid.apple.com.

For your security, this automated message has been sent to all of the email addresses on file in your account.

If you need additional help, visit Apple Support.

***Keychain was turned automatically off on all of my devices when I did my last OS updates. (both Bid Sur and iOS on my iPad and iPhone). I have never had 2 factor authentication but apparently now you need it to have an iCloud keychain.

Nov 25, 2020 11:10 AM in response to LACAllen

Ahhhh... I knew they were 2 different things but I didn't notice when I went to activate it. But I still wonder why a waiting period to activate 2-step authentication would make the account more secure. I can see a waiting period to turn it off, but it seems like if someone has my password and answers to my security question that would just be giving them more time to mess with my account.

I don't think I even had the option to select 2-factor. I assume it would be right next to 2-step. I'm running Mac OS 11.0.1 Big Sur, iOS 14.2.1 on my iPhone 12pro max, 14.2 on my newer iPad (6th gen), and 10.3.3 on my older iPad (can't find the generation, but it's about 8.5 years old). According to the article you sent they all should be able to run 2-factor.

I initially tried to set it up through iCloud. I probably should have through my iPhone. but now I don't even have the option on iCloud or my phone and I get a similar error message on my Mac. I'll attach some images

Am I missing something?

Mac

iCloud

iPhone

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Keychain and 2 factor authentication.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.