Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Backup on MacOS through finder overwrites the latest backup

Everytime I'm doing a backup of my iphone to my macbook air running OS Catalina, it overwrites the latest backup. I can then only select this backup until I do the next one, then only that one is available. All the other older ones are deleted, even though there are only minutes and no other changes in between some test backups.

This is really annoying. I can't find it on the ~/Application Support/mobileblablabla... etc oath either - it's always just the latest one.

Someone already had the same problem but it wasn't solved: macOS Catalina overwrites iPhone backups - Apple Community

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 6:41 PM

To archive a previous backup click the Manage Backups... button. Secondary-click (two-finger tap or control-click) the backup and choose Archive. It will not be deleted.

For reference: Back up iPhone - Apple Support

4 replies

Aug 24, 2022 4:40 AM in response to unentschieden

You could always restore an iPhone backup from the Mac's Time Machine backup. To do that, secondary-click again, then "Show in Finder" (this quickly navigates to the correct folder). Then, Enter Time Machine and navigate to the backup you want.

Restoring it will not overwrite the newer one because they are uniquely named.

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Iphone Backup on MacOS through finder overwrites the latest backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.