Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Backups: Back up to iCloud backs up to this Mac

When I try to back up my iPhone with Mac Finder, the Radio Button Backups: automatically switches to the option "Back up your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud".

When I switch this radio button manually to the second option, i.e. "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac", the radio button snaps back to the upper position (Backup to iCloud) right after the next sync of the iPhone with the Mac happens.

Any idea what the issue could be and how to stop the Backup option from switching back to iCloud by itself?

n.b. that the actual backup data is always going on the Mac, regardless of the radio button's setting. Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2022 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 9:58 AM

Eprom1 wrote:

When I try to back up my iPhone with Mac Finder, the Radio Button Backups: automatically switches to the option "Back up your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud".

When I switch this radio button manually to the second option, i.e. "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac", the radio button snaps back to the upper position (Backup to iCloud) right after the next sync of the iPhone with the Mac happens.

Any idea what the issue could be and how to stop the Backup option from switching back to iCloud by itself?

n.b. that the actual backup data is always going on the Mac, regardless of the radio button's setting. Thanks in advance!

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

make some changes and test...

I do not use the default minimum iCloud backup

This what I see when I plug in the iPhone— these settings do not change on their own

ref:

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Back up iPhone using iCloud - Apple Support

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 9:58 AM in response to Eprom1

Eprom1 wrote:

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

make some changes and test...

I do not use the default minimum iCloud backup

This what I see when I plug in the iPhone— these settings do not change on their own

ref:

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Back up iPhone using iCloud - Apple Support

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Dec 3, 2022 3:01 AM in response to Eprom1

Solution: had to turn on / off iCloud Backup on the iPhone.

Then the sync crashed perpetually with "unknown error (-50)".

After restarting the Mac, then the sync worked again, with the Radio Button staying in fixed position "Backup all data to this Mac".

However, the iPhone password must be entered now each time when a backup is done to establish a device trust. This wasn't the case before.

Finder Backups: Back up to iCloud backs up to this Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.