Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder "Apply" Backup to Mac spontaneously changes to iCloud without User Authorization

In the current latest versions of iOS and MacOS, when I select to back up my iPhoneX to my new cable-connected Mac Mini, when I hit "Apply" to sync (because there is no "Sync" button as there is with my iPad), the Finder spontanteously chenges my slection to back up important data to iCloud instead WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION! Clearly this is a MAJOR BUG as it stores user data on iCloud without user consent.

Does anyone have a way to sync my iPhoneX to my Mac Mini avoiding back up to iCloud?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 5:39 AM

After calling Apple Support (who witnessed the bug during a screen share) and trying several suggestions that did not help, I found the following fix that worked for me on an old Apple Communities post.

I already had iCloud Backup set to off on my iphone Settings. But toggling it on then off again stopped the unauthorized backup to iCloud. And it restored a "Sync" button to the Finder backup screen replacing the "Apply" button that triggered the spontaneous backup to iCloud without my consent.

Settings>User Name>iCloud>iCloud Backup

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 5:39 AM in response to KeepImmigrants

After calling Apple Support (who witnessed the bug during a screen share) and trying several suggestions that did not help, I found the following fix that worked for me on an old Apple Communities post.

I already had iCloud Backup set to off on my iphone Settings. But toggling it on then off again stopped the unauthorized backup to iCloud. And it restored a "Sync" button to the Finder backup screen replacing the "Apply" button that triggered the spontaneous backup to iCloud without my consent.

Settings>User Name>iCloud>iCloud Backup

Finder "Apply" Backup to Mac spontaneously changes to iCloud without User Authorization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.