Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am trying to install latest version of macOS Monterey 12.5.1 onto my MacBook Pro but am getting an error message saying that - Installation Failed - in order to continue installing you need to be an owner. Why is this happening?

Am trying to install latest version of macOS Monterey 12.5.1 onto my MacBook Pro but am getting an error message saying that - Installation Failed - in order to continue installing you need to be an owner. Why is this happening?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 12:46 AM

5 replies

Aug 24, 2022 4:42 AM in response to billybloms

Good it was solved but think it was the reverse - a Guest Account does not have the Privileges to perform an update or Upgrade.

Let occasional users log in as guests

You can let other people use your Mac temporarily as guest users without adding them as individual users.

• Guests don’t need a password to log in.
  • Guests can’t change user or computer settings.

Aug 24, 2022 4:12 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks P.Phillips, you put me on track to solve the problem. I have 2 accounts on my Mac. I thought the one I have been using for the last 10 months WAS the administrator acc. and the other was a 'guest' acc. Anyway I logged out of my usual acc. and into the guest Acc and went to System prefs and tried to update to Monterey 12.5.1 ..... it loaded up straight away and went through without a hitch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.