Update to macOS Monterey 12.6.6

I am trying to macOS Monterey 12.6.6, but I couldn't be it popped up with a error message that said: "In order to continue installing, you need to be an owner." I tried to update using sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R in the terminal, but I got the error message "Failed to authenticate". Is there another way I can update my MacBook?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 2:51 AM

What follows pertains specifically to Apple Silicon Computers

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Below link all provide additional insights about the Difference between Admin Accounts and Owner Accounts  

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 2:51 AM in response to zkaitlyn

What follows pertains specifically to Apple Silicon Computers

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Below link all provide additional insights about the Difference between Admin Accounts and Owner Accounts  

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/

Update to macOS Monterey 12.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.