You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro 12.9 M1 magic keyboard gen 2.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask if the battery drain issue with the magic keyboard has been fixed since the keyboard was released. I know when it first came out it was draining the iPad battery very fast.

im thinking of getting a gen2 for my iPad Pro 12.9 m1 but if it drains the iPad battery so much then I think I will not bother with one, any thoughts or info?

thank you

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 3:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 3:50 AM

Speaking as a contributor that regularly visits and monitors the iPad Support Community, I don’t recall seeing frequent reports of excessive battery consumption concerning the Magic Keyboard for iPad.

However, consider that the Magic for iPad is powered from the iPad - and as such will inevitably have some impact upon battery life. The Magic Keyboard does have a USB-C power connector in its hinged spine - intended to allow connection of the iPad Power Adapter; when connected, the iPad will charge - and the Keyboard will receive power from the Power Adapter - removing concerns of diminished battery autonomy while using the Magic Keyboard. As most users will be using the Magic Keyboard in a desktop setting, leaving the Power Adapter connected to the Keyboard spine USB-C port is unlikely to be problematic.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2022 3:50 AM in response to Community User

Speaking as a contributor that regularly visits and monitors the iPad Support Community, I don’t recall seeing frequent reports of excessive battery consumption concerning the Magic Keyboard for iPad.

However, consider that the Magic for iPad is powered from the iPad - and as such will inevitably have some impact upon battery life. The Magic Keyboard does have a USB-C power connector in its hinged spine - intended to allow connection of the iPad Power Adapter; when connected, the iPad will charge - and the Keyboard will receive power from the Power Adapter - removing concerns of diminished battery autonomy while using the Magic Keyboard. As most users will be using the Magic Keyboard in a desktop setting, leaving the Power Adapter connected to the Keyboard spine USB-C port is unlikely to be problematic.

IPad Pro 12.9 M1 magic keyboard gen 2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.