Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page Count

One of my MANY questions/frustrations with the Pages app: In my older version, the present page number and page count would show at the bottom of the document (for instance, page 15 of 36). This was invaluable when I wanted to print certain pages mid-document. But now I have no idea what the page number is that I want to print without numbering the pages or hand counting them. Did this feature move? Was it deleted? Is there a way I can see what page I'm on in a document? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 11:03 PM

Current versions of Pages still do this.

Make sure you have Headers or Footers showing in the document

On any page, locate the box in which you want the pager number to appear. There are three header boxes at the top of each page and three Footer boxes at the bottom of each page. Usual choice for page numbers in the centre box of the Footer set.

Click on the box you want to show the page number, then click the "Insert Page number" speech bubble that appears.

On clicking the speech bubble, it will disappear and the page number for the selected page will appear in the box, OR the bubble will change to display this menu:

Click the format showing what you want to appear in this box.

Done.

Regards,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 11:03 PM in response to Awkman77

Current versions of Pages still do this.

Make sure you have Headers or Footers showing in the document

On any page, locate the box in which you want the pager number to appear. There are three header boxes at the top of each page and three Footer boxes at the bottom of each page. Usual choice for page numbers in the centre box of the Footer set.

Click on the box you want to show the page number, then click the "Insert Page number" speech bubble that appears.

On clicking the speech bubble, it will disappear and the page number for the selected page will appear in the box, OR the bubble will change to display this menu:

Click the format showing what you want to appear in this box.

Done.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 24, 2022 11:09 PM in response to Barry

Thank you! Part of my problem with the current Pages is that these things are hidden away in different places rather than out in the open at all times, using more keystrokes and more menus. (Nothing is simple anymore. :) ) I appreciate your clear graphics. Does anyone publish an updated Pages manual that you'd recommend? The online content is limited. Thank goodness for this forum.

Aug 25, 2022 5:57 AM in response to Awkman77

Once you have selected View menu > Page Thumbnails, there should be no further confusion about what page you are on as the respective icon will have the page number on it and a faint gray background (Pages v12.1) indicating you are on that page. This has been true since Oct 2013.

Pages applications released since Oct 2013 are not based on Pages '09 and expecting the older application's features in the newer applications will frustrate you without end.

Page Count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.