Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will CPU Overheating harm Mac

Hi, I have a Mac Studio(48 core)&64 Gb RAM. When I was playing "FIshing Planet"(a game on Steam that uses a lot of GPU for graphics), I turned off the display of the computer, and then the mac became completely unresponsive. I waited for twenty minutes and then returned to the computer and found out the computer was very hot(the wind from the fans is around 50˚C). And then I tried to reconnect the computer with the display a few times and it didn't work. At last, I forced-shut-down the computer and rebooted it. When it was on again I checked for the temperature of the computer and Macs Fan Control said the CPU is around 60˚C and Disk Drill S.M.A.R.T monitoring said its 35˚C for the disk, which the temperature before rebooting is probably at 70~100˚C(because its quite hotter than when it rebooted) and disk at around 40˚C.

Will the mac be harmed if the average temperature of the CPU is at 100˚C running for thirty minutes?

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 7:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 7:32 AM

Most of the time it won't create any issues, but in uncertain times it may cause damage to the lower grades parts like wires, chipsets, etc., and generating this higher heat is not a good sign, so kindly perform a complete malware check in your device, as this may also make load in your device, also check with your hardware, that any failures have occurred.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2022 7:32 AM in response to Ocillus

Most of the time it won't create any issues, but in uncertain times it may cause damage to the lower grades parts like wires, chipsets, etc., and generating this higher heat is not a good sign, so kindly perform a complete malware check in your device, as this may also make load in your device, also check with your hardware, that any failures have occurred.

Aug 25, 2022 7:39 AM in response to Varunprakash

Oh thanks, I checked the indexing of the disk, relocating files, and the internet download speed and they seem to be fine. I also turned on full blast for the fans(by Macs Fan Control) and now the temperature is back to 34.5˚C on the Average CPU and 25˚C for the disk. I also made an etre check and a geekbench test(on the other reply that I placed on this page).

Aug 29, 2022 2:27 PM in response to Ocillus

Open a terminal from the user/applications/utilities directory and type this command in

user% uptime

Uptime will report how long system has been running in days, hours, mins

then it will report the load of jobs running on the system for the last min, 5m, 10m if I remember correctly.

Based on the temps you state I suspect maybe an errant print queue, or job.

GO from memory tab on activity mon and select the cpu tab

report back top 5 users of cpu usage,

sort the field by tapping ‘cpu usage’ tab in activity mon

I see high% of 2-300% with photod analysis, and mds (spotlight) and window server for the first 5 mins of operation after a cold boot in morning.

But to be honest, my studio is always stone cold recording with Logic Pro, editing 4K movies with Final Cut, using Motion for creating segments to be used in Final Cut and others.

I’ve read of folks running Mac Studios as security systems recording constant 15 fps on 7 different 4K cameras 24/7 and they state the system is barely above ambient temp.

I’m hopeful yours in load related, and easy to resolve.

Good luck

Will CPU Overheating harm Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.