Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP M1 Temperature

Warranty claim on my macbook recently changed the top case. Temperature used to be a stable 36-37°c. But due to a PowerPoint malfunction & subsequent crash the temperature spiked to 71°c then it came down to 42° c after a restart. The efficiency core package temperature is showing 42°c without any app running at all. Is this worrisome? Because the temp was avg 36°c before the crash, why is the temp so High in idle now?

The PowerPoint malfunction & crash issue is linked below for reference:

(https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/powerpoint-convert-to-video-causes-my-mac-to-crash/79181854-e96c-46c8-b7c3-20855069c5c7)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 5:03 PM

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

A 5C difference may just be due to normal operation of the Mac. Perhaps some macOS or third party app background task scanning the system, looking for updates, installing updates, Spotlight indexing the drive, or cloud file syncing, etc.

To look for possible software issues, run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Usual culprits for causing a computer to run hot are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software. None of these types of software are needed on a Mac and they usually cause more problems than they solve, plus they impact system performance. If you have any of these types of apps installed, then uninstall them by following the developers instructions.

You can also have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 5:03 PM in response to mounota1

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

A 5C difference may just be due to normal operation of the Mac. Perhaps some macOS or third party app background task scanning the system, looking for updates, installing updates, Spotlight indexing the drive, or cloud file syncing, etc.

To look for possible software issues, run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Usual culprits for causing a computer to run hot are anti-virus apps, cleaning/optimizer apps, and third party security software. None of these types of software are needed on a Mac and they usually cause more problems than they solve, plus they impact system performance. If you have any of these types of apps installed, then uninstall them by following the developers instructions.

You can also have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop.

Nov 9, 2022 6:29 AM in response to mounota1

The Bittorrent software is the most likely app to cause the computer to be working harder & hotter.

The Tunabelly TG Pro software is also a possibility as it has controls to adjust the fan speeds. While it is fine to monitor system temperatures, there should be no need to adjust the fan speed. Even if you are not slowing the fans, it is hard to say whether it has any negative impact on the system (I use the MacsFanControl app to check the temps & fan speed, but I avoid installing the driver needed to control the fans). There is also no guarantee that a third party app is even correctly interpreting the temperature sensor information for a specific model since many times the values pulled from a sensor needs to be properly adjusted.

Nov 9, 2022 7:25 AM in response to mounota1

[Loaded] uTorrent Web (BitTorrent, Inc - installed 2022-09-30)
Application
/Applications/uTorrent Web.app

I did not necessarily mean for you to completely abandon TG Pro, but just disable its driver to prevent if from being able to adjust the fans. With MacsFanControl, I avoid providing my admin password and instead click the "Cancel button when prompted to prevent the app from installing a driver....may work with TG Pro as well, but it would need to be fully uninstalled (not sure if macOS will grandfather in the previous permission to activate the driver if the app is reinstalled). Unless you uninstalled TG Pro by following the developer's instructions, then their driver may still be active because just moving the app to the Trash will not move the driver as it is buried within the macOS system.

MBP M1 Temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.