Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a projector with MacBook Pro

Hello. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running 12.5.1 and I'm trying to use it with an elderly projector - Sanyo PLC XW 57. The Sanyo has two VGA input ports. My MBP has a HDMI and two Thunderbolt ports. I have two VGA adapters so that I can use either HDMI to VGA or Thunderbolt to VGA. I have managed to get a link using the HDMI to VGA with the VGA lead connected to the projector's "COMPUTER IN -1" port. No other combination of ports and adapters seems to work and the connection I get reduces the image from a full screen oblong to a square and the picture is quite dark and not the usual excellent Apple colours. When I tried the projector with the HDMI adapter in a Dell laptop it worked immediately.

Are MacBooks not compatible with this model of projector?

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 1:56 PM

On the MacBook go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Displays

set the resolution for the projector to 1024 x 768

Use the "Thunderbolt" to VGA adapter, if its not an Apple product expect problems, so buy the Apple adapter from Amazon or Ebay as Apple no longer sell it

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 26, 2022 1:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply Grant

OK but the HDMI to VGA adapter worked on my brother's Dell laptop. My MacBook doesn't have a USB-C port. I'm limited to either the HDMI port or the Thunderbolt ports. I'm really surprised that my MBP doesn't respond properly to either of these. The HDMI link seems to be the better option - at least I can get some projection. I wonder whether there are some settings on my MBP that I need to adjust to make it work properly?

Aug 27, 2022 12:56 PM in response to FrankLeeBaffled

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Modern Displays with multiple ports are sometimes busy scanning the other ports, looking for an input, and miss the query from the Mac. They need to pay attention to the port you are actually using, or they will miss the query.

Some displays have On-Screen Display settings that can be used to tell the display a computer is attached on a certain port, or a certain port should be highest priority. Changing those may make your display more responsive.

Some displays include their own private "sleep" settings for the display alone. This can allow the display to enter its own sleep mode, on top of the Mac's not sending it data. A display that is sleeping on its own cannot respond to the Mac's query, and will stay dark.

Aug 27, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

On a PC, it uses whatever settings you manually make in its preferences, and pays no attention to what (if anything) the display says about its capabilities).

ThunderBolt-to-HDMI is more likely to succeed, and from that vendor, a good quality adapter costs under US$10. Others may be available from other sources, and should be priced comparably.

Sep 1, 2022 5:55 AM in response to FrankLeeBaffled

Thank you Grant and Gary

Problem solved. I used my third-party Thunderbolt to VGA adapter. Apple Menu / System Preferences / Display / Display Settings - the Sanyo PLC XW 57 projector was listed as an option and selected. I tried Sanyo display and Apple display and both worked equally well. An old projector but still has some life and use - bit like me I hope!

Using a projector with MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.