Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing invite "merges" invited user account with the owner account

Hi, I'm trying to set up a Home account for my family and experiencing bizarre behavior.

Every time I invite my son to the newly created home account two storage behaviors occur:

1. He is getting the invite from my @icloud.com alias instead of my apple id (although I don't have that account logged in anywhere)
  2. Once he accepts the invite, my user suddenly disappears from the home account and his account appears as another user with his apple id but my media apple id.

This behavior doesn't happen with any of the other residents that I invite, they are getting it from my correct apple id and are added without any issues.

I tried to check if there is anything strange in my apple id account or his apple id account but couldn't find anything.

This behavior occurs also when I try to invite him from my mac so it's not an app/iPhone-specific issue (although I did delete the app and reinstalled it just in case)

Any clue or suggestion will be highly appreciated.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 3:05 PM

To which "Home" feature are you referring? Apple for some reason only known to itself likes naming multiple things pretty much the same and I don't know if you're talking about the Home app used for sharing or Home Sharing as done with the music player. See if either of these help:

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

I think is getting outside of Family Sharing as such and I'll see if a moderator thinks there's a better place for it. If not then you may want to contact Apple about this.

Contact Apple. Click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service --> "See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world."

Click here --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2022 3:05 PM in response to lnetanel

To which "Home" feature are you referring? Apple for some reason only known to itself likes naming multiple things pretty much the same and I don't know if you're talking about the Home app used for sharing or Home Sharing as done with the music player. See if either of these help:

Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

I think is getting outside of Family Sharing as such and I'll see if a moderator thinks there's a better place for it. If not then you may want to contact Apple about this.

Contact Apple. Click here --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support Select your country, then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service --> "See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world."

Click here --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Home sharing invite "merges" invited user account with the owner account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.