Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube App delay in playing video

Has anyone encountered the app having a delay in starting a video. The video actually plays 3-5 seconds but the picture & audio doesn't "catch up" until about that time 3-5 seconds into the video. This is happening whether it's a video or even commercial.

I don't think it's my ATV, I've restarted, unplugged all the usual fixes & my AppleTV, HBOMax, Disney all work fine with no delays. It's just youtube. This isn't happening on my app on my phone or iPad just on my AppleTV.

So, does this sound more like a a youtube app issue?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 12:43 PM

Seems like it's getting worse as the days go by. At first the delay was 3-4 maybe 5 seconds now I'm seeing 6-7 second delays to the point where the AppleTV will show an error stating "No signal", then pop back to the main Youtube menu & if I chose the same video then it plays but not before another 3-5 second delay.

So annoying!

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 12:43 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

Seems like it's getting worse as the days go by. At first the delay was 3-4 maybe 5 seconds now I'm seeing 6-7 second delays to the point where the AppleTV will show an error stating "No signal", then pop back to the main Youtube menu & if I chose the same video then it plays but not before another 3-5 second delay.

So annoying!

Aug 28, 2022 1:49 PM in response to ibroker

Yep. I have a similar issue. I see the ad or video without sound for 2 secs. The screen goes black for 2 seconds. Video comes back without sound for about 2 seconds then the video starts. Every video, every add. Apple for screwed something up for so many people to have the same or similar problem. It's all over Reddit r/apple. Here's the fix https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/wzf4b7/youtube_app_delay/ Uncheck the Match Frame Rate in your picture settings on Apple TV.

Sep 21, 2022 9:14 AM in response to yuming113

We just had an AppleTV update on 9/20 I believe & I figured that's when this would be fixed but Youtube still broken. C'mon Apple get on these guys to fix their app!! This is ridiculous!

Fine by me though because I don't see the commercials until the last 1 or 2 seconds so it's their partners that are getting hurt by this not us.

Oct 7, 2022 10:36 AM in response to ghoshsubhadeep

Thanks for your reply. I just tried it & the first video popped up instantly, "YEAH FIXED"!........But no, because I tried it on a few more videos & still the same issue. I think videos' with less than HDR resolution played normally right when chosen but maybe it's the 1080 & high resolution that has a "connection" issue.

Just a follow up as well. I took my ATV 4K to the Apple store to get checked out. They hooked up it & of course with my luck....it played perfectly on several different videos & formats. But I took a video on my iPhone just in case to show that it's an actual issue & they agreed so since I had Apple Care they offered to give me a brand new one & it's on order now.

I replicated the same issue in my master bedroom TV. Took the AppleTV from the master bedroom & played it in the living room & didn't have the issue so it wasn't the TV connection as far as I can tell. I bought a new HDMI cable, still had the problem. Bought a new wireless router (I was using the old Apple Airport Extreme up until last week) & even with updated wireless router still had the problem.

Not sure WHY the ATV4K worked at the Apple Store??? Just odd? But now I'm not 100% convinced that a brand new APTV will solve the issue? If it doesn't then the only thing I can point to is the connection to my Sony Bravia 55".

Oct 7, 2022 10:46 AM in response to ibroker

I also faced similar issues as yours but I replayed most of the videos after changing the setting and the issue is resolved it seems. I was also under the impression that the Wifi router was to blame and got a new Wifi 6 router but that made no difference. I am also using a Sony Bravia X80J LED TV and luckily it worked out for me. Maybe thr is some other issue which is causing the delay in your case

Oct 21, 2022 4:44 PM in response to ghoshsubhadeep

Okay so I finally got my replacement. They said 3-5 business days, ended up being 12 business days!!!! Hooked it up & all is right again. No delays, no freezes all videos' playback at very beginning with pic & sound, including commercials, which I could have done without but oh well it's still fixed.

Just a reminder, I went through every possible "at home" fix, new HDMI cable, switched power cables, switched ATV4K box from living room to bedroom & still had the issue. Brought bedroom ATV4K downstairs & did NOT have the issue. Bought a brand new mesh wireless router, still problem. Local Apple store diagnosed & tried the unit at the store & NO PROBLEM??? So confused because I thought for SURE at the store it would still be an issue.

Got the new ATV4K & issue gone. So it was NOT a connectivity, either hardware or wifi signal on my end, it was indeed the unit but WHY did it work fine at the Apple Store???

Oh well, case closed. If you're experiencing what I was experiencing get them to replace it just be prepared for possible 10-12 business day wait.

YouTube App delay in playing video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.