Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Save M1 Monterey 12.5.1

Similar to

After upgrade to Monterey, "Save" and "Sa… - Apple Community

Was running Logic and was unable to Save a new composition.

Menu options are available. Spinning wheel. Save Panel never appears.

Mail became unresponsive.

Relaunching Finder, it hasn't come back.

Something isn't letting apps save. Triggering a sysdiagnose doesn't seem to have completed either.

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 5:48 AM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2022 6:40 AM in response to fitts law

Q - " I've installed a new MOTU driver, "

A - Did this require disabling SIP "

A - If so, has SIP been Re-Enabled ?

A - If none of the above

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Aug 26, 2022 4:27 PM in response to PRP_53

One thing that is missing from the Safe Mode instructions is that you have to have your wireless keyboard plugged in with a lightning cable. Doesn't pick up if the keyboard is connected by Bluetooth. So you won't see the Continue button change label when the Shift key is held down.

SIP request was acknowledged.

Saving worked immediately after the first normal boot and in safe mode Logic opens and saves without issue.

I run an Intel and an M1 side by side (with Universal Control - which was suggested as a possible culprit in one similar thread, bu t unclear). The Intel is used more and hasn't exhibited the issue. So wondering whether losing save functionality is M1 specific and somewhat rare.

Looks like there is a sysdiagnose from about the same time when it happened. So it was saved but didn't open the folder in Finder.

Aug 27, 2022 1:41 AM in response to fitts law

fitts law wrote:

One thing that is missing from the Safe Mode instructions is that you have to have your wireless keyboard plugged in with a lightning cable. Doesn't pick up if the keyboard is connected by Bluetooth. So you won't see the Continue button change label when the Shift key is held down.

SIP request was acknowledged.

Saving worked immediately after the first normal boot and in safe mode Logic opens and saves without issue.

I run an Intel and an M1 side by side (with Universal Control - which was suggested as a possible culprit in one similar thread, bu t unclear). The Intel is used more and hasn't exhibited the issue. So wondering whether losing save functionality is M1 specific and somewhat rare.

Looks like there is a sysdiagnose from about the same time when it happened. So it was saved but didn't open the folder in Finder.

Q - " One thing that is missing from . . . "

A - Yup, right it is not mentioned specifically. Though, most experienced users are aware the Bluetooth Kernel will probably load too late to allow the Shift key to function as intended. Good thing you had the presence of mind to Hard Wire the KB :-)

Q " SIP request was acknowledged. "

A - Not sure what that implies. It really does not matter as long as good computer practices are observed and SIP is enabled once again

Q - " Saving worked immediately after the first normal boot and in safe mode Logic opens and saves without issue. "

A - Problems solved ?

Aug 26, 2022 6:32 AM in response to Mal-S

The best solution I could come up with was to Force Quit Logic. Because it keeps auto saved documents the composition wasn't totally lost and was still available as an Untitled document after restart. I could then save normally after that.

I probably have done multiple reboots since the 12.5.1 update because I've installed a new MOTU driver, which requires a restart because of the low-level changes it installs.

Super strange that a sysdiagnose wouldn't complete either. (Unless it completed but Finder didn't respond to the folder open).

Unable to Save M1 Monterey 12.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.