Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder crashing after one key

After updating to Monterey when I try to search in Finder it crashes and restarts after clicking in the search bar and pressing any key. So far I have tried the following:

• shutdown/restarted the computer
  • deleted all of the 3rd party apps that run in the background
  • deleted the finder .plist
  • started up in safe mode (finder search works in safe mode but doesn't work when restarted regularly)
  • reinstalled Monterey

At my wits end here. Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 10:35 AM

ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac wrote:

After updating to Monterey when I try to search in Finder it crashes and restarts after clicking in the search bar and pressing any key. So far I have tried the following:
shutdown/restarted the computer
• started up in safe mode (finder search works in safe mode but doesn't work when restarted regularly)
reinstalled Monterey

?

Is that the only circumstance it crashes when you "search in Finder."..?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 10:35 AM in response to ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac

shutdown/restarted the computer
reinstalled Monterey

?

Is that the only circumstance it crashes when you "search in Finder."..?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5.1

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Sep 2, 2022 11:06 AM in response to ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 2, 2022 4:34 PM in response to ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac

I ran the etrecheck and also took a look at the crash report from the Console. Well beyond my rudimentary python and R coding ability to interpret. I'm at your mercy. Otherwise I'll be doing a factory reset with reinstall.

<Etre Report.log>

You have TWO third party anti-virus installed:

FireEye

Symantec

Antivirus software: Apple and FireEye

2022-09-02 10:59:33 SymDaemon Crash (4 times)
    Executable: /Library/Application Support/Symantec/*/SymDaemon

Uninstall  all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple  macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

In each case I would look for an official uninstaller—if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Sep 3, 2022 11:26 AM in response to ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

FireEye and symantec fall into those categories. Uninstall each according to the developers instructions. Symantec is noted for several crashes.

If your school requires FireEye then completely remove Symanced first and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't uninstall FireEye and test. If still crashing you can add FireEye back but NOT Symantec.

Sep 2, 2022 1:23 PM in response to ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac

Trying to search in finder within an app also crashes the finder (for example looking searching for a document within keynote or word). Search works within a guest account. 

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Sep 2, 2022 11:53 AM in response to ReallyMoreOfAPinkLadyThanAMac

Trying to search in finder within an app also crashes the finder (for example looking searching for a document within keynote or word). Search works within a guest account. 

So this is not a Universal issue, but seems isolated to your user account...

You can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com  

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

I might still suspect— third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus...

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Finder crashing after one key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.