Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 with available OSXUpdCombo 10.11.6 dmg

Installed in my iMac7,1 (early 2007) El Capitan 10.11.6 (Build: 15G22010). When I attempt to reinstall I receive the following message: OS X El Capitan Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update. I search for update requirements but was unsuccessful.

I need to reinstall because I have periodic stalls and crashes, new version of zoom client crashes as well.

Please advise.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 12:28 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 28, 2022 1:03 PM in response to Chememeritus

The ComboUpdate is a patch for an existing version of macOS 10.11 and not the full macOS 10.11 installer which is needed for reinstalling macOS. This Apple article contains links to various macOS installers as well as optional instructions for creating & using a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I highly recommend you create the bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer.

Are you planning on reinstalling macOS over top of itself or a clean install by first erasing the drive?

The two most likely reasons for performance issues is from a failing hard drive or some third party software that is installed.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics don't detect most drive failures. To better check the health of the hard drive run DriveDx and post the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

It is best to do these checks before attempting to reinstall macOS.

Aug 27, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Niel

Niel,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will execute the security update link you provided and then try I will to reintall El Capitan 10.11 with Apple installer. Current attempts give the following error message: OS X could not be installed on your computer. No package was eligible for install. Based on what you mentioned could be the problem.

I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 the last update before Apple changed the processor.

The new version of Zoom client crashes so I wanted to reinstall OS X 10.11 ---> update to 10.11.6 and see if problem with zoom persists.

Thanks for your input, will update.

Robert

Reinstall Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 with available OSXUpdCombo 10.11.6 dmg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.