Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete Imports After Import

I know I'm making this more complicated than it has to be, but, I backup my photos from my iPhone onto my MacBook Air using a cable - yes, a cable - sorry. When I sync my iPhone, I sync it to my MacBook Air with the same cable. Photos starts up as soon as I connect the iPhone to the MacBook Air.

Here's my question:

If I click the "Delete photos after Import" box, from where do the photos disappear - only from the iPhone?

So, when the process goes from importing through Photos to Sync the iPhone to the MacBook Air, the deleted photos/movies/etc. are returned to the iPhone, but do not appear in the Camera Roll?

I have been afraid to click that button just in case the photos are not only deleted from the iPhone, but, incase, through the Syncing process, the deleted photos will somehow notify the MacBook Air to delete them from the MacBook Air's Photos Library.

By not deleting after Import and then Syncing, I get two (or more) duplicate (etc.) photos back on the iPhone, half of which I can delete (There's a trashcan on the page.) and some I can't.

My interpretation of this is that the photos with the trashcan are those that I took or got through iMessage or WhatApp, etc while the one(s) without the Trashcan are those that came to the iPhone through the Syncing process.

Is it safe to Delete After Import?

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 2:08 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 27, 2022 1:33 AM in response to MattKauf

There are two more things to consider -

• to be sure, that the photos have been imported safely, it is essential to take the time to view the photos enlarged in Photos on your Mac before you delete the originals on your iPhone. Otherwise you will not be able to recognize transmission errors. If you use "Delete after import", you will delete the originals on the iPhone before you can check them. I would never use this options.
  • "Delete after import" cannot work at all, if you have set the iPhone to convert HEIC to JPEG, when you transfer the photos to the Mac or PC, because you are not importing the HEIC originals, but new JPEGs. The remaining HEIC files on the iPhone will always appear as new photos and are source of potential duplicates on import. I would not use the automatic conversion to "More Compatible" when importing using a cable.

Aug 27, 2022 3:03 PM in response to léonie

Thank you!

I looks like you look at all sides of an issue. Great response. Thank you for your time and quality of your response.

I have to say that I have chatted with two Apple tech people who completely misunderstood or could not understand what you did from my explanation. If Apple monitors these “Inter-User” memos, they should make you a high level supervisor of training.

Thanjs again

Delete Imports After Import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.