Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB vs. AFP

Hello,

I am using Lightroom Classic on my MacBook Pro (14", 2021 with Apple M1 Pro chip) and a Synology NAS DS414 (using EXT4 file format) where all my photos are stored. I have connected my NAS drives via AFP. When I try to "Edit in" from a photo in LrC, LrC creats a TIF and hands over to the external editor. A few plugins (belonging to the external editor) do have an issue, while trying to load the image. It takes a few minutes until something happens. But instead of loading the photo my NAS drives get unmounted.

For testing I switched from AFP to SMB connection and did the above test again. This time I was not getting an issue. The images loaded perfectly and reasonable fast at the external editors. However, at the external editors, processing and saving takes sometimes longer sometimes very fast. Sometimes, when I get impatient I hit Option+Command+ESC to terminate the editor, this seem to help and saving gets done at the same moment I hit the key combo.

I have done, a bit of a research in regard to AFP vs. SMB. In the past AFP was the preferred protocol, that is why I used this. However, I went to the Apple Guide pages and found two sources (for macOS 12 - Monterey), indicating that even Apple is now preferring SMB over AFP. At the following article they say if you have the choice chose SMB:

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

Even more restrictive they do not list AFP any longer at this help page when it comes to connecting to a NAS server:

Network address formats and protocols on Mac - Apple Support

So what is your experience, do you have similar issues using AFP over SMB or vice versa?

Cheers

Joerg

(Update wrong tags below - MacBook Pro 14" and macOS 12.5.1)

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 8:01 PM

Joerg, if you have any hope at all of using a non-Apple NAS for any purpose then it must use SMB.

AFP was a proprietary Apple protocol that they never licensed to anyone. Third party products such as your Synology NAS implemented a variety of open-source imitations of AFP, all of which suffered compatibility problems. Now that it has been deprecated, we should no longer rely upon it.

Use SMB, despite the fact it is slower and arguably less reliable than AFP had been — when we were able to use Apple equipment exclusively.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2022 8:01 PM in response to Nocki.u.Yogie

Joerg, if you have any hope at all of using a non-Apple NAS for any purpose then it must use SMB.

AFP was a proprietary Apple protocol that they never licensed to anyone. Third party products such as your Synology NAS implemented a variety of open-source imitations of AFP, all of which suffered compatibility problems. Now that it has been deprecated, we should no longer rely upon it.

Use SMB, despite the fact it is slower and arguably less reliable than AFP had been — when we were able to use Apple equipment exclusively.

SMB vs. AFP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.