Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app now has Archive rather than Trash

Suddenly when I swipe to the left on an email in the list view it says Archive. It has said Trash or Delete forever. How do I change it back?

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 12:55 PM

If it is a gmail account that is the default. You have to change in using web access to gmail.

UPDATE: I just found another way:Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts, tap on the account, then “account” again at the top, then Advanced. Change MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO: and tap on Deleted Mailbox. Then back out to Account and tap Done.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2022 12:55 PM in response to kjwsr

If it is a gmail account that is the default. You have to change in using web access to gmail.

UPDATE: I just found another way:Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts, tap on the account, then “account” again at the top, then Advanced. Change MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO: and tap on Deleted Mailbox. Then back out to Account and tap Done.

Mail app now has Archive rather than Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.