Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set a system wide default larger font on macOS Monterey?

Beats me how to PERMANENTLY change the default font across all the MacAir

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 6:51 AM

12 replies

Sep 2, 2022 7:12 AM in response to Zorkslamartronerars

Not Possible in macOS - period.

You can experiment in System Preferences >> Accessibilities >> Display and Zoom but System Wide Font - no.

Unlike in MS Windows where you can Scale Up or Down to effect the System Wide Appearances - macOS does not allow this.

PS - User profile is showing MacBook Air 13 " , macOS 12.5

There was a Monterey 12.5.1 released Aug 17, 2022 and worth updating for Security Updates

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 2, 2022 7:34 AM in response to Zorkslamartronerars

Depends on what you're trying to change. For the menu bar, open System Preferences > Accessibility. Click on Display in the left column. Choose Large in the drop down menu.

Close the System Preferences. You will be prompted to log out of the account in order for the change to take effect.

For the Finder windows, open any existing folder, or create a new one. Doesn't matter which way you do it. Make sure the folder is the foreground item and press Command+J to open View Options.

The default font size is 13 points. Press Command+1 for icon view. Change the point size to what you prefer. 16 points is the max. Press Command+2 and set the point size. Then press Command+3 and repeat the size you want one more time. Now the important part. Click the Use as Defaults button at the bottom of the View Options palette. Close the palette.

Example, 13 point vs. 16 point:

The text of all folders systemwide will take on the new size, as will all new folders you create.

Other than changing the size of everything by altering the display resolution, this is as much control as Apple gives the user over the UI, as far as size goes.

Sep 2, 2022 7:53 AM in response to dialabrain

I haven't ever looked to see what the difference is, I just knew the option is there. Sorry to hear it isn't much. That's a real pain for folks who want to use the entire 4K or 5K resolution of their monitor, but not have to look at teeny tiny text at the same time. Apple really needs to be more flexible with the UI. Why they still refuse to go to an active/scalable (resolution independent) desktop as Windows did all the way back in Win '95 is puzzling.

I did try that once with a 27" 4K monitor. Set macOS to the native resolution of that test monitor, and you almost need a magnifying glass to read things. Windows handles that same use much better. Rather than everything just following a 4K resolution, it automatically chooses a text size for the UI that is relative to the screen size and resolution. It looked the same at 4K in Windows 10 as my 27", 2560 x 1440 res monitor looks at its native res in macOS.

I do know it would require a massive change to how the OS works to do that. Probably why Apple resists.

How to set a system wide default larger font on macOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.