Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail in the mail app

My mail syncs on my iPad and my iPhone ( ie if I delete a message it gets deleted on both devices ).but on my iMac it doesn’t seem to sync, ( messages still appear even though they were deleted on the other device)

Please give me an easy answer as I’m not very knowledgeable !

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 10:08 AM

The "easy answer" is that Google mail uses a different format for storing messages than most other email providers. As such, issues like you are experiencing are bound to happen.

You may find the following article helpful in explaining the differences:

5 replies

Sep 4, 2022 1:31 PM in response to jerriefromleawood

The reason I had you verify the mailbox behaviors setting on your Mac is to double-check that each of your Gmail "mailboxes" are corresponding to the mailboxes that you will see in the Apple Mail app.

As far as syncing between Apple devices, there are two things to keep in mind:

1. All of these devices are logged in with the same Apple ID.
  2. All syncing, including email messages, is done between these devices via iCloud.

I'm also assuming that your Gmail account is configured for IMAP and not POP3 for accessing the Google mail servers ... and finally, that you have your Gmail account properly configured.

If all of these are true, then I'm afraid, that I'm at a loss on what the culprit is that not allowing your Gmail messages to sync properly. Maybe, someone here, who is more familiar with Gmail's functionality will chime in to assist you. Sorry, that I couldn't help. Good luck!

Gmail in the mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.