Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail sync

When I delete mail from my gmail account on my iPhone mail app, it used to delete it across all my devices. Now it won't. When I delete from my iPhone, they remain in my inbox on my MacBook Pro and my iMac. I deleted my gmail account from my MacBook and then loaded it again, but no change. Advice?

This is for my gmail imap account, not iCloud, I just couldn't find a Mail topic to select.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 9:13 AM

Deleting mails from iPhone will remove the mail from the device ( iPhone ) , the mails will not sync when the same gmail address is used and signed in with its password either from Mac / iPhone or other device , when you delete mails from Mac they will move in trash folder of gmail account .

Your can't compare with same Apple ID and password say example1@icloud.com in which pure syncing is occurred .

Deleting mail account from Mac system preferences > internet account has no connection with it , even you again add the accounts .

Just an example if you go to cybercafe where people come and browse for a time and pay to the owner for it and you sign in with your gmail account with credentials from their computer , and you delete mails from there it will be deleted from their device and gmail server and move to trash , once you go to your Mac that is in another location and on the other network , the mails will not be deleted from Mac , the reason they are not synced and it will never happen .

Say your apple id is set with gmail services the devices ( iPhone / Mac ) are synced on the same network still deleting of mails will move them to respective devices .

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2022 9:13 AM in response to blrom14

Deleting mails from iPhone will remove the mail from the device ( iPhone ) , the mails will not sync when the same gmail address is used and signed in with its password either from Mac / iPhone or other device , when you delete mails from Mac they will move in trash folder of gmail account .

Your can't compare with same Apple ID and password say example1@icloud.com in which pure syncing is occurred .

Deleting mail account from Mac system preferences > internet account has no connection with it , even you again add the accounts .

Just an example if you go to cybercafe where people come and browse for a time and pay to the owner for it and you sign in with your gmail account with credentials from their computer , and you delete mails from there it will be deleted from their device and gmail server and move to trash , once you go to your Mac that is in another location and on the other network , the mails will not be deleted from Mac , the reason they are not synced and it will never happen .

Say your apple id is set with gmail services the devices ( iPhone / Mac ) are synced on the same network still deleting of mails will move them to respective devices .

mail sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.