Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way to protect my MacBook

I use a MacBook (ver 12.5.1) for work and am forced to use programs like Microsoft 365 and Citrix Sharefile, an online data storage system. Our office keeps getting hit with malicious messages and have been hacked a few times. I am constantly getting pops up asking me to click this or download that which I will not do. I was using Chrome and Gmail until I found out recently that someone had somehow taken control of my Netflix account as I found a message advising that my netflix was cancelled and when I spoke with Netflix, they said someone had taken control and changed the account into their name using my credit card.

Long story short, I've stopped design Chrome and have gone back to Safari, and am now using the Mail app for the gmail account. I assume this is the safest thing to do.

When I speak with Applecare they advise me that Apple recommends I use malwarebytes on my computer. I tried to explain to the lady that there is no way a one minute scan of my computer which is about what it takes to scan with that program can actual check the 1.8 gigs of data on this computer.

Can anyone advise the best way to check my computer for what I have on the drive, and then the best way to protect it moving forward? I am assuming that is some type of software however, I'm not going to download anything without someone in this community that knows what they're talking about providing some feedback.

I would be very grateful for some feedback. Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 7:44 PM in response to tlenbro

I use a MacBook (ver 12.5.1) for work and am forced to use programs like Microsoft 365 and Citrix Sharefile, an online data storage system. Our office keeps getting hit with malicious messages and have been hacked a few times.

If that is what you are required to use it may not be a good idea to use that Mac for both personal and work-related purposes. By doing so you are delegating at least some computing security to entities you don't control. It would be different if your Mac were owned by your company, in which they probably ought to implement Apple's Mobile Device Management. That puts it clearly under their sole control - and I still wouldn't use if for anything personal.

When I speak with Applecare they advise me that Apple recommends I use malwarebytes on my computer. I tried to explain to the lady that there is no way a one minute scan of my computer which is about what it takes to scan with that program can actual check the 1.8 gigs of data on this computer.

I agree and I think the recommendation you got from them was irresponsible. Read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. It describes the principles I expect everyone in my organization to observe, and it works.

best way to protect my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.