You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro screen keeps dimming regardless of settings

The screen on my MacBook Pro keeps dimming after a short interval, regardless of the settings I've enabled. I have done the following:

-Disabled screen saver

-Unchecked "automatically adjust brightness" (and true tone)

-Unchecked "slightly dim the display while on battery power

Set "turn display off after.." to either "never" or to a very long duration (1 hour +). As a related issue, I've noticed that sometimes when I re-open System Preferences, this setting has reset itself to a shorter duration. Could that be part of it?

And yet, after 5-10 minutes, the screen just dims.

Any suggestions? This is a MacBook Pro 2019, Monterey 12.5.1 but I was having this issue with previous versions too.

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 12:30 PM

1 reply

Sep 7, 2022 8:15 AM in response to spinachworld

Hello spinachworld,

You've walked through great steps and disabled helpful settings to help prevent the display from dimming. To confirm, does the display dim while in use or after a period of time that the Mac is not in use? Do you notice if the screen saver is activating or does the mac go to sleep? If so, it's possible that that other Energy Saver settings may be enabled causing this occur. You can learn more about these setting in the following article.

Save energy on your Mac - Apple Support

You may find the last section "Select other energy-saving options" particularly helpful in reaching a resolution.

Have a great day!

Macbook Pro screen keeps dimming regardless of settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.