Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Video Changes Audio Timeline?

I am making a movie that the audio is already set, I have worked to make it blend seamlessly, but when I add video to the project, the audio gets pushed all around, removing all the work I put into it. This happens if I click to add or drag it into the project (see video linked).

How can I just add the video and make iMovie just leave the audio portion alone exactly as I had it?

I've linked to a video of the behavior...

https://share.cleanshot.com/asGupn

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 3:02 PM

As a general workflow tip, it works better if one adds the videos and transitions first, and then put in the audio.

And here's another thing you can try that should work in your situation. Select all of the audio clips in the timeline as a batch. (Select the first clip, then hold down the Shift key and select the last clip.) Then do Edit/Cut. That will remove them from the timeline. Then add your video. Then do Edit/Paste to add your audio clips back into the timeline.

If you want to look into it further, possibly a redownload of iMovie would cure it.

You can also try these two procedures and see if that resolves it:

Resetting the System Managment Controller

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 3:02 PM in response to lucidlyseen

As a general workflow tip, it works better if one adds the videos and transitions first, and then put in the audio.

And here's another thing you can try that should work in your situation. Select all of the audio clips in the timeline as a batch. (Select the first clip, then hold down the Shift key and select the last clip.) Then do Edit/Cut. That will remove them from the timeline. Then add your video. Then do Edit/Paste to add your audio clips back into the timeline.

If you want to look into it further, possibly a redownload of iMovie would cure it.

You can also try these two procedures and see if that resolves it:

Resetting the System Managment Controller

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

-- Rich

Sep 6, 2022 1:07 PM in response to lucidlyseen

I am not able to replicate your findings on my setup, which is Mojave and iMovie 10.1.12. When I add the video, the audio clips do not become separated as they do in your posted video.

You probably can simply use your cursor to push the audio clips back together.

Another way, would be to export the project as an Audio-Only project (an option in the share box) and then re-import the shared audio clip back into your project as one merged sound track.

Before doing the above, you might first try deleting preferences as that procedure often cures issues when iMovie acts unexpectedly. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new blank library. Re-open your old library to get back to your project.

Another thing you can try is to create a new project and see if that cures the problem.

-- Rich

Adding Video Changes Audio Timeline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.