Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to verify account name or password when setting up gmail account in Mail

unable to verify account name or password when setting up gmail account in Mail on iMac

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 8:44 PM

WJM09 Said:

"unable to verify account name or password when setting up gmail account in Mail on iMac"

-------

Getting macOS Mail to Operate:

A. Time to Upgrade the macOS?

I see you have El Capitan as your macOS, which is quite old. So, incompatibly may be an issue here. 

B. Use a New App Password for Each Device:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Create a unique on for each device. Remove the current one, and then use the new one instead. Sometimes, changes (i.e. updates) are made to the device, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended to fix). For example, you'd go here for gmailSign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 8:44 PM in response to WJM09

WJM09 Said:

"unable to verify account name or password when setting up gmail account in Mail on iMac"

-------

Getting macOS Mail to Operate:

A. Time to Upgrade the macOS?

I see you have El Capitan as your macOS, which is quite old. So, incompatibly may be an issue here. 

B. Use a New App Password for Each Device:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Create a unique on for each device. Remove the current one, and then use the new one instead. Sometimes, changes (i.e. updates) are made to the device, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended to fix). For example, you'd go here for gmailSign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

unable to verify account name or password when setting up gmail account in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.