Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Doesn't Work on my MacBook Pro Any More

My iMovie just spins and doesn't connect to the iMovie Library anymore. I tried all the suggestions from Apple. I reset it. I redownloaded it from the App Store but it still does not work. I created a second user that works there, so I have another iMovie Library there.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 9:01 AM

In addition to deleting preferences, you can try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down your Mac and reboot in normal mode. Sometimes that shakes out conflicts that cause iMovie to hang up.

Here are instructions for booting up in Safe Mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2022 9:01 AM in response to sprintcar88

In addition to deleting preferences, you can try booting up in Safe Mode and, after everything loads, immediately shut down your Mac and reboot in normal mode. Sometimes that shakes out conflicts that cause iMovie to hang up.

Here are instructions for booting up in Safe Mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

-- Rich

Sep 9, 2022 3:42 PM in response to sprintcar88

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If the above does not cure the situation: Since iMovie opens in your new user account, there appears to be a conflict on your old user account that is preventing iMovie form opening. If that's the case, you will need to track down the source of the conflict.

-- Rich

iMovie Doesn't Work on my MacBook Pro Any More

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.