Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail doesn't provide option to delete a Mailbox I accidentally created

I'm running High Sierra. I did something in Mail, and seemed to notice peripherally that the list of mailboxes on my left seemed to expand. Then I thought I noticed a new folder I've never used (it was empty) called "VIPs". With "VIPs" selected, went to menu bar and selected "Mailbox". The option to "Delete Mailbox" is grayed out. I tied using a suggestion to use "Go to Folder" under the "Go" menu in Finder to go to "~/Library/Mail/V4" and delete the Mailbox there, but Finder says, "The folder can't be found". Am I stuck with "VIPs" folder in Mail?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 11:01 AM

It's a folder created by Mail...

A VIP mailbox is a type of Smart Mailbox. Learn more about how Smart Mailboxes organize messages.

If you use iCloud Contacts, your VIPs are available on your other Mac computers (with OS X v10.8 or later) and iOS devices (with iOS 6 or later) that have iCloud Contacts turned on.

All you can do is remove VIP from any sender then wait a say after there are none for FIP to go away.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2022 11:01 AM in response to wclarke440

It's a folder created by Mail...

A VIP mailbox is a type of Smart Mailbox. Learn more about how Smart Mailboxes organize messages.

If you use iCloud Contacts, your VIPs are available on your other Mac computers (with OS X v10.8 or later) and iOS devices (with iOS 6 or later) that have iCloud Contacts turned on.

All you can do is remove VIP from any sender then wait a say after there are none for FIP to go away.

Sep 8, 2022 1:44 PM in response to BDAqua

Dear BDAqua. thanks for the explanation about the VIP mailbox. Guess it's always been there, and since it's created by Mail, I can see why I can't eliminate it. And I've never used it. As least I know now what it's for.

Incidentally, I can't run High Sierra on my other two Macs, because I'm still managing to use — wait for it — Quicken on two Macs running Yosemite (its earliest entry goes back to 1990!). Quicken won't run on High Sierra, being 32-bit. (That's one of the many things that irritates me about Apple; you just know that Apple could have easily kept support for 32-bit apps using something like Rosetta, but they are too cheap to do so. So I also lost the great calendar program "Remember?" Not to mention losing everything I ever wrote in earlier Apple word-processing programs. Reminds me of the quote (paraphrased), "Thank Heavens Leonardo da Vinci wrote on pencil and paper. We can still read what he wrote 500 years ago, but we can't read what Steve Jobs wrote 20 years ago." I now make it a practice never to use a proprietary Apple writing program, because YOU JUST KNOW that at some point Apple will quit supporting it. So I use TextEdit, and "rtf" format. Not as convenient as Pages, with it templates and all, but at least I'll be able to open an "rtf" document for quite a while.)

Sep 8, 2022 2:43 PM in response to BDAqua

Dear BDAqua, I can't help but wonder if you are wrong about High Sierra running 32-bit software. My old MS Office won't run, Quicken won't run, Remember? will open but not accept new events.

However, I Googled "Does High Sierra run 32-bit apps" and got the reply, "High Sierra is the last version to support 32-bit apps 'without compromises'." What the heck? I know that when I first opened High Sierra, I got all these messages about 32-bit software being a problem! But I just tried to open Quicken right now, and it OPENED! However, when I tried to add an event to Remember?, I got the error message, "Sorry, Internal error" (it gave a number, but now even the Save option is grayed out so I can't get back to it). And I never had a problem with Remember? before.

MS Word (Office 2014) won't open, but because it says it's a PowerPC app (that's clearly Microsoft's fault, still using PowerPC apps in a 3014 version of Office!!).

Again, I never had any problems with Remember? before High Sierra, so don't understand what the problem is with it. I'll have to try more things with Quicken and see what's what there! Thanks so much for getting me to even try again, though!!

Sep 8, 2022 3:11 PM in response to BDAqua

I guess you explained it: "Apple makes changes to internal calls that all these Apps use, that is what breaks them".

Along this line of "changes", I'd like to bring up "updates" on the iPhone. Apple, on the iPhone, has made it really difficult to place the insertion point where you want it. You try clicking within a word, but the phone insists on placing the insertion point at the first of a word, or at the end, or giving you the option to "Select" or "Select all" instead; or it selects the whole word and makes it really difficult to stop the selection. NO! I just want to place the insertion point within a word to correct an error. And the "click and hold" you have to do to get the freedom to move the insertion point just causes you unnecessary delay. And if you don't wait, the iPhone then insists upon adding a space and two (or so) letters that I can never figure out where they came from!

I think the last time placing an insertion point was easy and straightforward was in iOS 11.x.

I feel like Apple lets say, 35-year olds come up with changes, and doesn't run them past 60-year olds, who have some real experience, and who would shoot down the 35 year old's "great" idea!

Thanks for the LibreOffice suggestion, too.

Really nice to have had your responses!

Mail doesn't provide option to delete a Mailbox I accidentally created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.