Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up my MacBook Air

I am not a technologically advanced kind of gal. Can someone please just tell me what kind of external storage device to buy so I can back up my MacBook Air? My computer only has two Thunderbolt ports so I need something that can plug into one of those. I really just need to be told what to buy and where to buy it. I'm not using my computer for super advanced stuff, I am just a regular person who needs to back up with Time Machine. I also have one of those USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI Adapters if that means anything...

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 8:56 AM

Get an external hard drive about 2-3x the size of your internal drive, Attached it to your Mac using a USB cable. You may need a USB-A to USB-C adapter if your have only the USB-C type ports. Port type depends on what year Mac you have. USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Once attached to your Mac, use built in Time Machine to backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

As where to buy: Amazon, Newegg and just about any online electronics/computer equipment seller. There may be local stores such as Best Buy.

HDMI is not useful for this.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2022 8:56 AM in response to LittleBleaz

Get an external hard drive about 2-3x the size of your internal drive, Attached it to your Mac using a USB cable. You may need a USB-A to USB-C adapter if your have only the USB-C type ports. Port type depends on what year Mac you have. USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Once attached to your Mac, use built in Time Machine to backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

As where to buy: Amazon, Newegg and just about any online electronics/computer equipment seller. There may be local stores such as Best Buy.

HDMI is not useful for this.

Backing up my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.