Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pen not working

This problem started up a few weeks ago. My apple pen cannot interact with my screen. If I turn my iPad off and on a few times it starts to work but if I don’t use it for a minute it stops working again. It’s gotten to the point where I’ll get it to work then it’ll stop working 5 seconds later and take another 5-10 minutes to start working again

It’s fully charged, it’s listed as connected all the time in Bluetooth even when not working, I can see the battery percentage in the side menu, when I plug it in it shows up in the “about” section in settings with all its info and such but it disappears when I unplug it, I normally charge it with the lightning cable adapter for the apple pen, I have done the “forget device” technique a dozen times to no effect, I have restarted my iPad numerous times and it has had no effect, and I have replaced the tip and ensured that it is fully screwed on. None of this has fixed it. The only thing that somewhat works is turning my device off and on a few times while testing the pen on the Lock Screen each time.

This pen is a 1st generation apple pen, I’ve had it for a little over a year so it is no longer within warranty.

My iPad that I’m connecting it to is an iPad Pro 12.9” (2nd generation) ver. 15.6.1

It is a replacement I received last year as the previous one was damaged

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 9:51 AM

Your Apple Pencil is exhibiting symptoms of a failing battery - that will not reliably accept or hold any charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is identified, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2022 9:51 AM in response to iz32

Your Apple Pencil is exhibiting symptoms of a failing battery - that will not reliably accept or hold any charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is identified, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple pen not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.