Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet not working on IMAC after power outage

What could be wrong? I performed apple diagnostics and everything showed up okay. Ethernet port does not work when connected directly into the computer, only works with a dongle.

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 10:21 PM

Unfortunately, the Apple Diagnostics does not catch everything and this may be the case here. You don't mentioned which exact model your iMac is, but if it is currently running macOS Catalina, I'm guessing that it is still an Intel-based one.

As such, I suggest that you try resetting your Mac's SMC to see if this helps:

If it doesn't, chances are that the power outage may have caused a voltage spike that damaged your Mac's Ethernet port. One last thing to try would be to boot up in Safe Mode ... again, to see if that resolves the issue.

If neither of these help, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support directly. To do so, simply select the "Get Support" link in the upper right-hand side of this forum's web page.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2022 10:21 PM in response to toolleather

Unfortunately, the Apple Diagnostics does not catch everything and this may be the case here. You don't mentioned which exact model your iMac is, but if it is currently running macOS Catalina, I'm guessing that it is still an Intel-based one.

As such, I suggest that you try resetting your Mac's SMC to see if this helps:

If it doesn't, chances are that the power outage may have caused a voltage spike that damaged your Mac's Ethernet port. One last thing to try would be to boot up in Safe Mode ... again, to see if that resolves the issue.

If neither of these help, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support directly. To do so, simply select the "Get Support" link in the upper right-hand side of this forum's web page.

Ethernet not working on IMAC after power outage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.