Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 pro battery health issue and stats

my 12 pro max has dropped the battery health fast despite ensuring proper charging habits. i charge mostly from 50-80 or 40-80 but still saw battery health degrading from 97% to 92% in just 3.5 months. while using 3utools app for windows, i saw that the battery health percentage being calculated was out of a total designed capacity of 3666mAh and result was exactly the same as on my iphone i.e. 92% whereas while checking it via coconut battery app in MAC, I saw that the battery health was 94% and was being calculated out of a total of the design capacity actually advertised by apple i.e. 3687mAh. my question is that is apple just messing with us to get early battery replacements or even phone replacements? what is accurate? if apple's own battery calculation is ok then is there something wrong with the batteries that they are dropping their health this fast? i was using 2 sims in my iphone 12 pro max but just to conserve battery health, i spent extra money to get a spare xiaomi device given that i am from Pakistan and we cannot get offical replacement centres here.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 5:25 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 13, 2022 12:36 PM in response to arshaaa

You are not using “proper” charging habits, you are following absurd rules posted by people who don’t know what they are talking about. And you are messing with a hacking app (3utools), so who knows what damage you might have done to your phone?

In 3.5 months, on average, maximum capacity should drop between 3 and 4%, as indicated by Coconut battery, which is pretty reliable. Note also that battery capacity is a truncated number, not rounded - that is, 97.0% will be reported as 97, 96.9% will be reported as 96. So the difference between two adjacent values might be as little as 0.1 percentage points, not the implied 1%.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 11, 2022 10:03 AM in response to arshaaa

Good day to you arshaaa, 

We can provide you with the information that Apple has provided about Battery Health, Maximum Capacity and when a battery needs replacement. 

iPhone Battery and Performance from the section titled ‘Battery Health’

Maximum battery capacity measures the device battery capacity relative to when it was new. A battery will have lower capacity as the battery chemically ages which may result in fewer hours of usage between charges. Depending upon the length of time between when the iPhone was made and when it is activated, your battery capacity may show as slightly less than 100%.

A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.

You’ll additionally find some screenshots in that article showing messages you may see from the built-in diagnostics about the battery status. 

Thanks. 

Sep 11, 2022 1:20 PM in response to arshaaa

Hey arshaaa,

You mentioned a concern about the battery health lowering more than you expected. The article we provided talks a little bit about this, but here's a more in-depth article about charge cycles, which explains in more detail about how the charge cycles are reflected in the battery percentage you believe is low: Why Lithium-ion? Third-party apps may not reflect the information correctly.

Take care.

Sep 14, 2022 7:00 AM in response to arshaaa

arshaaa wrote:

thanks for your reply. i normally charge using a 40-80 or 50-80 battery cycle.

There is no Apple website that says that. And it is wrong. Apple says to charge overnight with Battery Optimization turned on→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support. Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

What you are doing is guaranteeing that all energy to run your phone comes from the battery; that will shorten the battery’s useful life. The Apple recommended approach allows the battery to rest overnight, as the phone is powered by the external power source during the nightly routine processing done by the phone.

i saw that the battery health percentage being calculated was out of a total designed capacity of 3666mAh and result was exactly the same as on my iphone i.e. 92% whereas while checking it via coconut battery app in MAC, I saw that the battery health was 94% and was being calculated out of a total of the design capacity actually advertised by apple i.e. 3687mAh”

another thing is that you also mention that the battery health may decrease by a 3-4% every 3.5 month. the iphone battery health option shows 92% currently showing that it dropped from 97% to 92% in 3.5 month i.e. 5% drop however coconut battery still shows that the phone is on 94%. what should i believe?

What happens over a short time interval is irrelevant, as chemical processes are not linear. The real question is how long has it been since the phone was new? On average the capacity of an iPhone battery (or any smartphone battery) will decrease by 1% a month with normal use. When it reaches 80% it is time to get the battery replaced. Apple will replace it for free if it reaches 80% within the 1 year warranty or the extended AppleCare+, which is initially 2 years, but can be extended month by month for as long as the phone is not marked as “obsolete” by Apple (typically 7 years).

Sep 13, 2022 9:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

thanks for your reply. i normally charge using a 40-80 or 50-80 battery cycle. as per apple website and support, it is recommended to charge the phone between these percentages for safety and to avoid overheating of phone that in-turn damages battery. i never charge my phone overnight, consider this a habit. i will re-quote what i mentioned earlier

"i saw that the battery health percentage being calculated was out of a total designed capacity of 3666mAh and result was exactly the same as on my iphone i.e. 92% whereas while checking it via coconut battery app in MAC, I saw that the battery health was 94% and was being calculated out of a total of the design capacity actually advertised by apple i.e. 3687mAh"

another thing is that you also mention that the battery health may decrease by a 3-4% every 3.5 month. the iphone battery health option shows 92% currently showing that it dropped from 97% to 92% in 3.5 month i.e. 5% drop however coconut battery still shows that the phone is on 94%. what should i believe?

Sep 13, 2022 9:08 PM in response to Areeb_ios

im completely mindblown right now. spending a huge sum on a phone and then constantly going through the worry of battery health degrading faster than normal. my 11 pro max had amazing battery and in 3.5 month time its battery dropped by a max of 2% with same charging and usage habits however the situation on my 12 pro max is opposite. 5% drop in 3.5 month or i must say 3 since i bought another phone for my official use to reduce my iphone usage.

Sep 14, 2022 6:58 AM in response to arshaaa

arshaaa wrote:

thanks for your reply. i normally charge using a 40-80 or 50-80 battery cycle. as per apple website and support, it is recommended to charge the phone between these percentages for safety and to avoid overheating of phone that in-turn damages battery.

What do you mean by "40-80 or 50-80 battery cycle"? Do you mean you put it on charge when it reaches 40 or 50% and then charge it to 80%? Where does Apple recommend that?

Iphone 12 pro battery health issue and stats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.