Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen goes black

My Apple TV started randomly going to black and then back to regular viewing. It's about a 1-3 second blackness. And it doesn't seem to happen with any regularity.

Now I restarted the Apple TV and the problem has gone away.

And if it comes back I'll change the HDMI cable but if it persists is this an indication that the device is dying?

The Apple TV is, approximately, 8-10 years old.

Thanks

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 10:43 AM

My Apple TV started randomly going to black and then back to regular viewing. It's about a 1-3 second blackness. And it doesn't seem to happen with any regularity.

Intermittent issues are notoriously hard to diagnose. Check the cables, that all the plugs sit firmly in their sockets.

A good working device shouldn’t have to be restarted often, but a restart can cure some vague issues. Please report back if it happens again.

And if it comes back I'll change the HDMI cable

HDMI cables are all-or-nothing; they work or they don’t. If they’re broken, then the issues wouldn’t disappear because of a restart.

HDMI ports (on theTV or on a receiver or on Apple TV) are much more fragile.

… but if it persists is this an indication that the device is dying? The Apple TV is, approximately, 8-10 years old.

There are no moving parts. There are no gaps to collect dust. Electricity spikes and external force hits can damage it, though.

8–10 years ago is also a lot of innovation ago. Newer models have so much more to offer.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Apple TV user guide (4th generation or later) - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2022 10:43 AM in response to zamboknee

Intermittent issues are notoriously hard to diagnose. Check the cables, that all the plugs sit firmly in their sockets.

A good working device shouldn’t have to be restarted often, but a restart can cure some vague issues. Please report back if it happens again.

And if it comes back I'll change the HDMI cable

HDMI cables are all-or-nothing; they work or they don’t. If they’re broken, then the issues wouldn’t disappear because of a restart.

HDMI ports (on theTV or on a receiver or on Apple TV) are much more fragile.

… but if it persists is this an indication that the device is dying? The Apple TV is, approximately, 8-10 years old.

There are no moving parts. There are no gaps to collect dust. Electricity spikes and external force hits can damage it, though.

8–10 years ago is also a lot of innovation ago. Newer models have so much more to offer.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Apple TV user guide (4th generation or later) - Apple Support

screen goes black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.