Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trying to set up a new iphon (old was stolen) without the new sim card, only with appleID and password. can I do so without a verification code at my trusted phone numbers? I tried and it has been hung up all day.

I have a new iphone (13 mini), because my old one was stolen. New sim card is not yet there. This morning, I wanted to set up the new iphone, hoping that it would be just the same as the old one (everything was backed up on icloud). SO I entered my Apple ID and password, and when asked if a verification code could be sent to one of my trusted phone numbers, I said no (one being the no of the stolen phone, where I don't have a new sim card, the other phone no being my husband's who was traveling this weekend). since then the set up process seems to have been hung up. I cannot shut down the phone, I cannot go back and I cannot go forward. What do I do? Is it possible at all to set up a new iphone with only apple id and password, but without sim card/verification code sent to a trusted phone no??? Thanks!

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 9:23 AM

No, the authorization code verifies that you are the owner of your Apple ID. It has nothing to do with your phone. And you need the Apple ID to bypass Activation Lock. As you have an iPhone 13 you can get a new SIM card, or contact your carrier and see if they can provision an eSIM.

1 reply

trying to set up a new iphon (old was stolen) without the new sim card, only with appleID and password. can I do so without a verification code at my trusted phone numbers? I tried and it has been hung up all day.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.