Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old apps not updating

Is my understanding correct?

If I have installed all the apps under a different apple id, I can use them, but I cannot update them without the previous apple id's password.

I cannot know for sure which app is from an old apple id, which one is from the new one until I try to update it.

I have to manually reinstall all of them (might be a hundred) in order for them to start updating again.

And I can't delete them from the app store, I have to press on an app until it starts shaking.

And this is as intended?

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 3:24 PM

Well I doubt it was intended that someone would change Apple IDs and then mix all their stuff together.. So yeah, sounds like a 1 by 1 ordeal. Unless you just want to start with a fresh slate? You could erase the iPhone, set it up as a new iPhone, signing in with the Apple ID you want to use.. then go to the App Store and download all the apps you want that are associated with the Apple ID you signed in with. This isn't too difficult because in the App Store, your icon in the upper right, purchased, you can filter by 'Not on this iPhone'.

No idea if it's feasible for you to erase and start over or if you have a bunch of content you'd want to save.

You can't delete apps from the 'App Store', but you can delete them from the App Library (you just have to find the app icon in the pre-defined categories), or you can delete from the Home Screen when they wiggle like you found out. Or you can also go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage > [app name] and Delete from there.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2022 3:24 PM in response to antonavy

Well I doubt it was intended that someone would change Apple IDs and then mix all their stuff together.. So yeah, sounds like a 1 by 1 ordeal. Unless you just want to start with a fresh slate? You could erase the iPhone, set it up as a new iPhone, signing in with the Apple ID you want to use.. then go to the App Store and download all the apps you want that are associated with the Apple ID you signed in with. This isn't too difficult because in the App Store, your icon in the upper right, purchased, you can filter by 'Not on this iPhone'.

No idea if it's feasible for you to erase and start over or if you have a bunch of content you'd want to save.

You can't delete apps from the 'App Store', but you can delete them from the App Library (you just have to find the app icon in the pre-defined categories), or you can delete from the Home Screen when they wiggle like you found out. Or you can also go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage > [app name] and Delete from there.

Old apps not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.