Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to see dictionary meaning of a word (look up) using finger gesture?

is there a way to see dictionary meaning of a word (look up) using finger gesture?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 11:26 AM

IPadOS 15: Select the word or phrase (that might be a double tap, select-and-drag, etc), then select Look Up or Translate from the pop-up.

Translate text, voice, and conversations on iPad - Apple Support

Translate text in apps and using the camera on iPad - Apple Support

etc.

6 replies

Sep 11, 2022 11:12 AM in response to MrHoffman

In mac OS, if I tap with 3 fingers, it shows the meaning of that word. So is there way I can enable the same gesture for ipad too, may be for the newer iPad with iPadOS 15 or 16?

Because as a professional translator, I have to look for the meaning of the words every now and then, so hodling & tapping on look up is a process for which I have to do two things where as in mac, with just one touch task is done.

Sep 11, 2022 11:55 AM in response to Sunil0301

Three consecutive taps. Tap-tap-pause-tap

Mac has a double-tap with a trackpad to select, then press firmly and hold for the popup (I think this is what you’re using with three fingers, and one works fine), or tap and select from the popup. So... basically the same. On the local Mac on Monterey, a double three-fingered tap is zoom. Three-fingered tap is not assigned locally, though single tap hard and hold is.

On iPad with a trackpad, double-click to select, then control click to get the popup with the Look Up or Translate.

I know of no way to get an assistive gesture added for a lookup or translation. (On iPad.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.