Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

White grid icons

I wanted to (re)install Instagram. Went to app store and there is the “open” button as if i already have the app.

The app although isn’t on my phone. I checked iphone storage to delete the app and the app doesn’t appear there. So apparently, since it doesn’t take up any storage I don’t have the app but i cannot install it either.

After i restart my Iphone the app icon will suddenly appear But the icon is a white grid, unable to open, not even from apple store.

i tried

1) restarting/ shutting down

2) sign out of apple ID icloud

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 2:06 PM

That is a nasty corruption that happens occasionally

Backup, restore to factory,  and   then restore from backup:- 

You should import your media to Photos or iTunes in a computer and copy important documents to a cloud server in case you need to ditch the backup and start as new. Apps like Whatsapp have their own backup process that you should invoke.

(1)          How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2)          Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3)          https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

If the problem remains then do step (2) again but set up as new without restoring any backup. Then fetch your data back from whetever you put it. You will lose a lot of message history unless the apps have their own independant backup

Good luck

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 2:06 PM in response to esster

That is a nasty corruption that happens occasionally

Backup, restore to factory,  and   then restore from backup:- 

You should import your media to Photos or iTunes in a computer and copy important documents to a cloud server in case you need to ditch the backup and start as new. Apps like Whatsapp have their own backup process that you should invoke.

(1)          How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2)          Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3)          https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

If the problem remains then do step (2) again but set up as new without restoring any backup. Then fetch your data back from whetever you put it. You will lose a lot of message history unless the apps have their own independant backup

Good luck

White grid icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.