Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why don't the arrow keys work in Numbers?

They do not move from cell to cell, they do not move objects on the screen. Apple's guides say they should. This same question in this community seems to have been asked more than once with responses like "use the arrow keys" or a link to those guides that say "use the arrow keys."

Like those questions, I am not asking how to move objects, and I am not asking how to change focus in cells. I am asking why the arrow keys do not do those things as they should. Neither with the Logitech keyboard attachment, nor my bluetooth MacAlly keyboard. I've had this issue for years now without any solution being given.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 11:24 PM

This is the forum for Numbers on Mac OS. Your signature says iPad Pro. If this is a question about an iPad and keyboard, there is a forum for the iOS version of iWork apps.

iWork for iOS - Apple Community

There is also an iPd forum where I see others have a similar problem with the magic keyboard and in numerous apps, not just Numbers. They think it is related to iOS 15.1.

Using iPad - Apple Community

Arrow keys on the magic keyboard not work… - Apple Community

Maybe a solution?

Magic Keyboard will not turn pages with K… - Apple Community

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/414551/ipados-14-external-keyboard-arrow-keys-issues

It sounds like problems with specific apps have been fixed with app updates, for those apps that had updates. I don't know about Numbers but, given you are still having this problem, I assume it did not get a related update.

You might find a solution or workaround via an Internet search.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 11:24 PM in response to Moorgan

This is the forum for Numbers on Mac OS. Your signature says iPad Pro. If this is a question about an iPad and keyboard, there is a forum for the iOS version of iWork apps.

iWork for iOS - Apple Community

There is also an iPd forum where I see others have a similar problem with the magic keyboard and in numerous apps, not just Numbers. They think it is related to iOS 15.1.

Using iPad - Apple Community

Arrow keys on the magic keyboard not work… - Apple Community

Maybe a solution?

Magic Keyboard will not turn pages with K… - Apple Community

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/414551/ipados-14-external-keyboard-arrow-keys-issues

It sounds like problems with specific apps have been fixed with app updates, for those apps that had updates. I don't know about Numbers but, given you are still having this problem, I assume it did not get a related update.

You might find a solution or workaround via an Internet search.

Sep 13, 2022 11:19 AM in response to Badunit

The solution you linked wasn't quite the same navigation, but it lead me to the right place:

Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Full Keyboard Access > Full Keyboard Access Toggle (to off)

Not only did disabling it fix the issue I described here, it got rid of that annoying "Control Mode" that pops up randomly when I don't want it to; disabling my keyboard from normal use. That I have no idea how to make activate when I want it to, and have no idea what it's actually going to benefit on a touch screen. I've had both of these issues since early 2020, and found no solutions online every time. That was probably when Apple added the feature automatically turned on, and I guess an intentional feature is just at the bottom of people's list of ideas for the cause of losing functionality.

Sorry for the wrong location. It's what Apple automatically set it to. I was originally in the iOS section when I selected the option to ask a question, and my subject originally included "on iPad Pro" at the end.

When I try to ask a question Apple logs me out after only a couple seconds. So I was copy and pasting the body and trying to retype the subject and submit after logging back in fast enough that it didn't log me out. I failed multiple times before it finally succeeded at this one. I didn't realize I'd left off the last 3 words in the subject this time, but that extra fraction of a second it saved was probably why it was able to go through.

Sep 13, 2022 12:05 PM in response to Moorgan

Glad you got it fixed. I do not have an iPad so best I could do was relay what I read.

I wish when you search the Apple forums or want to post a question that it would automatically limit it to the forum you are browsing (and let you expand the range if you choose) vs including the entire site and making you filter it back down to the forum you started in. I find searching with Google to be much more efficient and accurate for finding posts here than using the search tools in the site, and I think that is pitiful.

Why don't the arrow keys work in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.