You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save documents to hard drive

My Macbook will only let me save Word and Excel documents to icloud.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 7:23 AM

12 replies

Sep 14, 2022 10:41 AM in response to jayfram

Hey jayfram,

It sounds like you want to use an external device to store data from your Mac. Let's start by working through these steps:

If you can’t move or copy an item on Mac - Apple Support

1. Select the item and choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
  2. Click the arrow next to Sharing & Permissions.
  3. Click on the menu next to your user name to bring up the permissions settings.
  4. Make sure you're logged into an Admin User account.
  5. If so, you can change the permissions to Read & Write or Read only. 
  6. You can also change permissions for the location where you want to put the item.

Take care.

Sep 15, 2022 9:20 AM in response to jayfram

Hi jayfram,

Thanks for clarifying.

Did you have a chance to give those steps a try, as they also pertain to saving files on your Mac? Here's the article again: If you can’t move or copy an item on Mac - Apple Support

If you're still having issues, we'll need some additional information to help us understand what's happening.

Where is the document originating, and what type is it?

What happens when you try to save? If you receive an error message, please let us know what that says.

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2022 1:52 PM in response to jayfram

Hi jayfram,

Thanks for the clarification.

With files not being able to save directly to your Mac, try the following steps to directly address the issue. Make sure that you have available storage on your drive. Go to Apple menu () > About This Mac > Storage.

If you have no available space, you can optimize your storage or move or delete files from your drive.

Check out steps found in Free up storage space on your Mac for an in-depth walkthrough.

If storage is not the issue, close all Office apps and restart your computer from the menu bar Apple menu () > Restart.

Regards.

Sep 17, 2022 1:15 PM in response to Jeff_W.

Sorry I was busy and didn't have a chance to respond. No, that is not helpful. The problem isn't that I can't move a document from one location to another, the permissions are all read and write for documents on my laptop. I can call up documents and open them. But, if I create a new document, the only way I can save it is to the cloud; the create a new document, or I open a document (Word or Excel), to try to save it to any subfolder on my hard drive - for example, my "Documents" folder - the folder is grayed out and it is impossible to save anything to it. The only place I can save anything is icloud. Similarly if I open a document from my Documents folder, I can "save" it to the same file, but if I hit "save as," any folder on my hard drive is again grayed out - the only option is to save it to icloud. Or if I open a document from icloud, I can't save it to my hard drive folders, only to icloud. The main issue is when I create a new document, and I can only save it to icloud. I'm prevented from saving anything to my hard drive that isn't already there.

Sep 18, 2022 3:56 PM in response to John Galt

Yes I was able to create a file on my desktop, and save a new Word document into it. So now I at least have a folder on my desktop that I can save things to, but my Documents folder on my hard drive otherwise is still locked. I noticed that there is a document that I created a couple of weeks ago for notes of a phone conversation I had with a salesman that is saved to that Documents folder, so evidently I was able to do it then, but evidently I did something along the way that now prevents me from saving any new documents to it. Have no idea what I might have done.

Sep 19, 2022 7:23 PM in response to jayfram

OK! So a couple of things, first, I realized that I am able to save things to icloud even though it appears grayed out when I am saving a document.

Second, and I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I was just trying to save the documents to the Macintosh HD in general, I thought I had navigated to the My Documents subfolder in the HD. So when I actually clicked on the My Documents folder, the documents did save to it. It's just when I am trying to save to the Macintosh HD that I get the error message that the document could not be saved because of a permissions error. So mea culpa and thanks for your efforts to help!

Cannot save documents to hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.