Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iOS 16 Touch Screen Problems

iPhone 11. Updating to iOS16 causes touch screen to fail.

Updated to iOS 15.7 first, then updated to iOS16 straight afterwards. Both updates ran with no issues.

After update to 16, touch screen is operating randomly. (Touch one icon and another is selected, cannot put correct numbers in to make a phone call etc) Everything else appears to work. No problems with touch before the update.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 10:34 PM

Pipcom Said:

"ios16 update causing touch screen problems.: iPhone 11. Updating to iOS16 causes touch screen to fail. Updated to iOS 15.7 first, then updated to iOS16 straight afterwards. Both updates ran with no issues. After update to 16, touch screen is operating randomly.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Errors After Update:

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary
146 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 10:34 PM in response to Pipcom

Pipcom Said:

"ios16 update causing touch screen problems.: iPhone 11. Updating to iOS16 causes touch screen to fail. Updated to iOS 15.7 first, then updated to iOS16 straight afterwards. Both updates ran with no issues. After update to 16, touch screen is operating randomly.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Errors After Update:

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 13, 2022 9:52 AM in response to Nurdieh0

Nurdieh0 wrote:

Is there a way I can identify how if there are others with having the same issue after the update? Maybe I can wait it out and see if they fix the update and go from there. I’m trying to upgrade my phone anyways but (broke college kid) haha. Thank you though!

Did you have the screen replaced?

Millions of iOS 16-capable iPhones have been sold. At any given time, some percentage of them are having problems with the screen. But, that doesn't mean the software update is the cause. In fact, it's most likely that it's not. Rather than wait around for an update that never comes, why not contact Apple and have them evaluate your phone? They can do a lot of the diagnostics remotely.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Dec 15, 2022 1:57 AM in response to getting_closer

getting_closer wrote: "Still there for me. XS 3rd party display"

Touch screen problems can be expected from a 3rd party display – particularly "after an iOS software update":

About genuine iPhone displays

...found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.

Another possible cause is an aging, weak battery. What's the Maximum Capacity % here?...

Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging

õ¿õ¬

Sep 15, 2022 6:50 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

This solution through Touch Accomodation makes it a bit more bearable but is NOT a long-term solution.

With these instructions I still have the following problems:

• The problem still exists when typing on the keyboard (ghosting/mistyping).
  • The touch responsiveness is lagging/failing sometimes.
  • Once every 16-24 hours the swiping gestures do not respond at all and I have to hard reset my phone.

Sep 22, 2022 7:38 PM in response to omega8719

iOS 16.0.2 somehow didn't fix the problem. On this list say X, XR, and 11 but actually from what I read XS, 12 and more is afffected. Now I'm on XS, this update 16.0.2 making a little bit worse. Home gesture not instant anymore with Touch Accomodation On. Work around explained in previous page. Any gesture in Home screen need tap and wait half second to respond. You just can't swiped your finger left to right (vice versa) really fast. Sometimes it work but most of the you must wait a mili second longer. THIS IS NOT TAP AND HOLD. I think this is related with Swipe Gesture On. Scrolling inside app feel normal.

If I try disable Touch Accomodation, it still not responsive just as vanilla iOS 16.

May 1, 2023 7:19 PM in response to chashot

After stuck in iOS 16.1 for a while that I think fixed the problem, for unkown reason the touchscreen problem surfacing again. Yes after months with no issue it is not responding. It force me hard restart. That slide to power off, I can't even move it. I want to activate Assistive Touch while not respond, good luck with that. Fortunately after hard reset it respond again but only for few while. After opening some application few hours later it not responding again. After reseting again I decided to activate Assistiive Touch. But I realize delay between touch even after Swipe Gesture on is noticeable. It just don't feel right.

I then finger crossed updated to iOS 16.4.1 hopes the bug fixed. Ya know what, it still there but not too severe I think. It not responding few hours after I play games or some app. But instead restarting, I just sleep button, and wake again, it respond again. It's still annoying though.

Sep 24, 2023 6:46 PM in response to Pipcom

Bad news guys. iOS 17 still not solve this problem.

Reminder Apple trying to fix this since 16.0.2 but they didn't say about 3rd party screen. It is just say after being serviced.

Summary until now.

iOS 15 touch screen working normal.

iOS16 made touch screen wonky.

Some people suspect 3rd party screen is to blame. Which is work great in iOS 15. People buying second hand without knowledge whatever previous owner do to their iPhone is screwed. But then there are also report some iPhone with original parts also affected.

Stop gap measures using Accessbility Touch Accomodation.

iOS 16.4.1 somehow making it less bit annoying when touch screen freeze again.

iOS 16.6.1 making it worse again with random freeze touch screen that must hard reset.

iOS 17.01 still same with 16.6.1. Touch Accomodation barely help anymore.

Previously there are report their iPhone return to normal behaviour after software restore, that mean wipe all and reinstall iOS from fresh. I willl do later if I have time.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 13, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Nurdieh0

Nurdieh0 wrote:

I updated to 15.7 before 16 like they did, and encountered the same issue. I have an iphone 11 as well, but with a different screen than Apples. I currently can’t use my phone without the screen bugging out so I’m writing from my ipad. I am wondering if others are having the same issue.

If the screen was replaced with a part that wasn't genuine, that is more likely to be the cause of your problem.

Sep 13, 2022 1:27 PM in response to Nurdieh0

I upgraded to iOS16 today on my iphone 12 with an after market screen and the screen is now blank. It is on as I was able to figure out where the numbers were to type my passcode but I can't see anything. I can't downgrade because I cannot figure out where to press to allow my computer to be trusted by iTunes too. What a nightmare. Any advice is appreciated.

Sep 13, 2022 2:06 PM in response to Cdemps88

OK - have spent the day with Apple tech trying to diagnose the problem. No software fixes resets or restores worked. I was told the problem is caused by new display features in iOS16 which are incompatible with non-Apple replacement screens.

The phones cannot be restored back to iOS15.7 after upgrading to iOS16. The only solution offered is to replace the display with an Apple display (cost £220 ish). I wish they had warned me of this before doing the upgrade to iOS16!!

By the way, I discovered that fast double taps kind of work sometimes when selecting apps and entering data.

Sep 14, 2022 5:42 AM in response to Pipcom

I'm having the exact same issue with my iPhone X and a 3rd party screen.

This tweet gave me a temporary solution, my phone is useable now:

Steps:

Settings > Touch > Accessibility > Touch Accomodation (Turn on Touch Accomodation) > Scroll down and Select "Initial Touch Location" >> Scroll down >> Swipe Gestures (Turn on Swipe Gestures) >> Select "Standard".

Sep 14, 2022 7:10 AM in response to foreigner_

foreigner_ wrote:

Hopefully. But I'm not sure if Apple will patch this issue as it only affects non-Apple replacement screens

This could be potential news. "Apple letting iPhone with third party screen replacement become useless with iOS 16 Update. Now this iPhone will goes to the trash bin. What with Apple go green and zero carbon footprint program? Do they care at all?"

Honestly, I'm buying second hand iPhone. I have no idea the seller replace the screen with third party. When I buy it, everything seems normal in iOS 15.x. Like how I know they replace something inside iPhone without additional software running on PC or Mac.

If Apple really don't want any third party spare part, they should build app that letting user show every part in iPhone still genuine from factory.

iOS 16 Touch Screen Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.