Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 Wallpaper Shuffle not working

The new shuffle wallpaper option looks great however:

• I can't select my favourite people?
  • Limited photos get cycled?
  • Depth / Floating Apps & Text don't work?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 12:07 PM

Nah. I agree with everyone here. I’m only getting some of my favorites to show up when selecting “people” for the shuffle. My wife only gets the option to choose one of our daughters. It’d be kind of nice to be able to select the people want to rotate these photos through. Lol. There’s a bug here.

So this is definitely my favorite about the new Lock Screen. It pulls up photos we haven’t seen in a long time and they are always a great surprise. Please dig into this.

Basically, not all of our “favorite” people are selectable in photo shuffle.

Thank you

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 12:07 PM in response to mingoslkd

Nah. I agree with everyone here. I’m only getting some of my favorites to show up when selecting “people” for the shuffle. My wife only gets the option to choose one of our daughters. It’d be kind of nice to be able to select the people want to rotate these photos through. Lol. There’s a bug here.

So this is definitely my favorite about the new Lock Screen. It pulls up photos we haven’t seen in a long time and they are always a great surprise. Please dig into this.

Basically, not all of our “favorite” people are selectable in photo shuffle.

Thank you

Sep 21, 2022 4:27 PM in response to awarrumbungle01

Similar problem. I have at least 12 people defined in my photos but only one person appears when I try to select people in the Wallpaper photo shuffle (see screenshots below). I tried to troubleshoot by turning off the photo shuffle wallpaper and restarting my phone then turning shuffle back on. Before I did that I had two people show up as options so it made the problem worse.

Sep 15, 2022 11:35 AM in response to awarrumbungle01

Hello awarrumbungle01,

You have some concerns about the new wallpapers in iOS 16. We'll do our best to assist with this.

You mentioned having a few issues. Let's break them down.

You can't select your favorite people. Are these people identified in the Photos app albums? Learn more here: Use the People album in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Limited photos get cycled. Did you select a Shuffle Frequency? Did you use the Featured Photos or did you Select Photos Manually? We'd suggest setting them up manually, so you can select which ones you'd like to add: Change the wallpaper on your iPhone

Lastly, you mentioned that Depth/Floating Apps & Texts don't work. If you are talking about the Depth Effect when selecting a wallpaper, then see: Personalize your iPhone Lock Screen

Note: This option may not be available for all photos. Layering is not available on wallpapers with widgets. The multilayered effect is available on supported models. Layering is available only on images with people, pets, or the sky, and isn’t available on every image in those categories. Layering may not be available if the subject is too high, too low, or obscures too much of the clock.

Let us know if this helps out or not, take care.

Sep 15, 2022 10:14 PM in response to mingoslkd

Thankyou for responding

1) Yes one of my favourited people doesn't show up as a person to select.

2) I selected photo shuffle - but it only seems to choose randomly 8 or so photos to shuffle and not my whole album/favourite people etc?

3) Now I understand depth feature thanks. But the older ios, the apps used to 'float' over the wallpaper?

Oct 15, 2022 5:10 PM in response to awarrumbungle01

Yep, same problem here. Once I moved to the official release I lost “Pets” as an option in photo shuffle, I’ve reset the phone, turned off and can’t get pets to show up again. In the Photos app I have 1.6k of photos that come up as Dog so I know that photos can see them. They are obviously not communicating to the photo shuffle for some reason. Also same on the people - about 25 identified people in photos, only 1 comes up in shuffle.

[Edited by Moderator] 

Oct 16, 2022 12:21 PM in response to awarrumbungle01

Similar issue. I had all 4 of my family members on rotation until just recently. I started to notice more of the same photos cycling and so I went to check the settings. Now I only have the option to shuffle through two of my children’s photos, even though my wife and three children have their own albums favorites and plenty of photos in each one.

Nov 2, 2022 7:23 AM in response to jdblundell

Same issue. Married with two daughters. All three are identified by name in faces photo album. But only my wife and one daughter show up for the shuffle feature. So as a result, my omitted daughter always sees my phone with only pictures of my wife and her sister popping up, and asks why her photos never show up on the Lock screen. Thanks Apple! Great work on ios 16.

Oh and group message don't autopopulate multiple names when you go to text 2 or more people that you have had tons of messages with in the past. Just individual names come up that you have to add one by one. Awesome.

Nov 4, 2022 7:12 PM in response to awarrumbungle01

Issues still outstanding include:

1. Depth effect works only when I manually select photos. When the same photo comes up in with shuffle depth effect doesn’t work…in fact when I touch the 3 dots to select frequency of photos the “depth effect” option is not there altogether.

2. Offered people in shuffle mode is limited to a few and never changes, I have some other people whom I would like to include and cannot.

iOS 16 Wallpaper Shuffle not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.