Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is airdrop an app that can be downloaded in the store?

i tried to airdrop from my iphone to my ipad just now and it said i had to download the airdrop app. but it worked just fine last night. i never deleted airdrop from my ipad, sooooo....? hmmm

just to be clear, i have a 32gb ipad 8th gen wifi/cellular without cellular service

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 12:36 AM

iPadOS16 is still “beta” - and as such you should have expectation of encountering bugs and unfinished features.

Unlike iOS16 for iPhone, released 12th September, iPadOS16 is not due for release until sometime in October. 

However, iPadOS 15.7 was also released 12th September - this incorporating essential security updates.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 12:36 AM in response to Community User

iPadOS16 is still “beta” - and as such you should have expectation of encountering bugs and unfinished features.

Unlike iOS16 for iPhone, released 12th September, iPadOS16 is not due for release until sometime in October. 

However, iPadOS 15.7 was also released 12th September - this incorporating essential security updates.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

Sep 13, 2022 9:34 AM in response to LotusPilot

thanks for your help by the way.! so does that mean that airdrop is useless for me? i have to use it everyday. and if "it" is pretending to be something that it is not, then what else on my ios is pretending to be something that it isnt?

Sep 13, 2022 9:35 AM in response to Community User

I would suggest that you adjust your airdrop receiving settings to not be from everyone. Someone could be trying to send you a link to an app or something like that, which could be what you are seeing. Mine is set to contacts only, and then if I need to receive files I will toggle the everyone on for that instance, then back to contacts.

with the screen cap you posted it looks like someone with a garbage name - (like scammer) is trying to send you something.

Sep 13, 2022 11:29 PM in response to Skydiver119

im not disagreeing with you, in fact im totally on board with what youre saying. and i tried using "contacts only" instead of "everyone" while using airdrop, but you have to be logged into your apple id in order to use the contacts only feature. and ive never logged into an apple id (or any account) on my iphone, so ill just figure out another way to do it. maybe with a usb drive or something. thanks for all of the help though 👍🏻

ps- it just dawned on me that this issue only started happening after i updated to ios 16. is there any chance that the update is the issue. a glitch in the matrix or something?

Sep 13, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Skydiver119

no thats the name of my iphone. ill ad myself as a contact and use that instead. but im also not near anyone. im about 400yrds away from the next human being. if not more

is airdrop an app that can be downloaded in the store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.