Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import photos gives me an error message

After updating to IOS 16, I tried importing a video and a photo however, I get this error message from the photos app. Is this a bug with IOS 16 or a bug with the photos app?

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 10:45 AM

Follow up on: Sep 23, 2022 2:06 PM in response to bdub8102 here above:

as I can email only 5 photos each time to transfer them to my desktop Mac Pro I found another and hopefully temporarily (until an iOS 16.1 fix) alternative with which you can transfer up to 2Gb in 1 time: use https://wetransfer.com

I am using this service for years for all kind of other documents and it works perfectly.

The only disadvantage is that the file get a WeTransfer file name instead of IMG_1234.jpg by your iPhone. Something like

1399D0A7-B54D-4562-8A78-47D57503110E.jpeg

However, once imported in the Photos app the images will be in regular chronological order.

With regards,

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 10:45 AM in response to blmvb

Follow up on: Sep 23, 2022 2:06 PM in response to bdub8102 here above:

as I can email only 5 photos each time to transfer them to my desktop Mac Pro I found another and hopefully temporarily (until an iOS 16.1 fix) alternative with which you can transfer up to 2Gb in 1 time: use https://wetransfer.com

I am using this service for years for all kind of other documents and it works perfectly.

The only disadvantage is that the file get a WeTransfer file name instead of IMG_1234.jpg by your iPhone. Something like

1399D0A7-B54D-4562-8A78-47D57503110E.jpeg

However, once imported in the Photos app the images will be in regular chronological order.

With regards,

Sep 14, 2022 7:38 AM in response to bdub8102

I also get the "The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9937)" error for anything I try to import after upgrading to iOS 16 on an iPhone 13 mini. Using Photos Version 3.0 (3291.13.230) on MacOS 10.13.6. Have tried with photos taken after changing the "Formats" settings for the Camera app set to either "High Efficiency" or "Most Compatible" and same result. Have tried with the "Transfer to Mac or PC" setting for the Photos app set to either "Automatic" or "Keep Originals" and same result.

Sep 23, 2022 2:06 PM in response to bdub8102

I'm facing exactly the same problem since upgrading to iOS 16 on my iPhone SE 2022.

Can't import photos and video anymore to the Photo app (3.0) op my Mac Pro.

Getting the same error message:

IMG_9160.JPG (IMG_9160.JPG) The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9937).

The file name is correct. The same with videos: .mov

So that should not cause the problem.

It's very frustrating as I need many photos and videos for important activities.

The only way I can currently circumvent the error report is by sending the images to my mail account, then download them on my desktop and from there import them in the Photo app.

However this is very time consuming.

I have tried the same as Warren Racz is mentioning:

Have tried with photos taken after changing the "Formats" settings for the Camera app set to either "High Efficiency" or "Most Compatible" and same result. Have tried with the "Transfer to Mac or PC" setting for the Photos app set to either "Automatic" or "Keep Originals" and same result.

getting identical results.

It seems like a bug to me, apparently not picked up and solved yet by Apple.

Sep 29, 2022 7:15 AM in response to Solarfields

Airdrop is not available on older Macs. Mine is a 2011 iMac running High Sierra and no Air Drop capability. I agree. They're forcing me to have to buy a new computer for no reason when the one I have works perfectly fine except for this issue now. I take many pictures as part of my work that I need transferred to my computer. The only way around now is to use a camera with an SD card since that doesn't seem to be a problem yet.

Sep 29, 2022 11:16 AM in response to Ron O

Can’t use SD cards in an iPhone. I clear up my memory by transferring photos/videos from my iPhone via USB cable to Photos app and back it up on an External Hard Drive.

Apple is changing it so you need to upgrade your OS to Catalina for this to work now. I’m also on an older iMac from 2012 so Catalina isn’t compatible on this because it’s vintage.

Sep 29, 2022 12:07 PM in response to mistahapa

I never said I'm using SD card in iPhone. What I said was that I am having to use a digital camera with an SD card to take pictures at work INSTEAD of my iPhone because that is the only way i'm able to export the pictures to my iMac.

This is the issue that has me not happy with Apple right now. If i want to be able to use my iPhone for taking pictures and exporting them to my iMac, I have not other option than to purchase a new computer even though my current one works perfectly fine other than this problem.

Oct 2, 2022 9:03 PM in response to bdub8102

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9956.)

iPhone 12 iOS 16.0.2

MacBook Pro Mid 2015 OSX 10.14.6 Mojave

After updating to iOS 16.0.2 I can no longer import photos and have them deleted on my phone using Photos app on the MBP.

The idea that the iPhone and the MBP cannot do simple photo transfers is really sloppy work on Apple's part. Yes, I know Apple wants everyone to upgrade to Catalina, but once I do that a bunch of other software on my MBP will break. I'll ditch the iPhone and get an Android before I do that.

Can't import photos gives me an error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.